Lockdown: NGO withdraws case against Ramaphosa, SANDF and police over alleged unlawful conduct

accreditation
(Photo by Gallo Images/Ziyaad Douglas)
(Photo by Gallo Images/Ziyaad Douglas)

A non-governmental organisation (NGO), which approached the courts for an order to declare the conduct of police and soldiers during the lockdown as unconstitutional and unlawful, have withdrawn their application, a senior member has said.

Fair and Equitable Society (FES) lodged papers in the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria seeking the declaratory order after reports emerged of members of the South African Police Services (SAPS) and the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) being heavy-handed in their enforcement of the three week lockdown.

Law enforcement have even been accused of shooting at citizens. 

It included cases of alleged assault and humiliation of citizens allegedly not adhering to the regulations of the lockdown.

READ | Lockdown: Ramaphosa heads to court over SANDF, police complaints - report

FES argued that videos posted on social media and news reports showed that police officers and soldiers were acting unconstitutionally in enforcing the government mandated regulations.

On 26 March, President Cyril Ramaphosa, cited as a respondent because he is the commander-in-chief of the SANDF, ordered that a 21-day lockdown be implemented until 16 April.

READ | Law enforcement's role is to comfort and reassure, not to harm - Ramaphosa

He also directed the SANDF be deployed to assist police in ensuring citizens stay indoors, except to buy food and medication or to get medical attention - also known as "essential services".

Ramaphosa responded to the application by stating he had no reason to believe that soldiers or police officers had acted unlawfully.

But in cases where law enforcement may have engaged in unlawful activities, he added, the conduct of such members should be investigated, and the matter taken seriously.

News24 reported that concerns had been raised about the conduct of the police and the SANDF following claims of abuse, heavy-handed policing and the use of excessive force. 

In a statement on Monday, the legal director of FES, Samantha Sarjoo, confirmed the case had been withdrawn after they received a response from Ramaphosa and after further consultation with their legal team.

"As FES, we have made the decision to withdraw, not because there is a lack of a case but rather because we take the case quite seriously," Sarjoo said.

"We want to ensure that in our defence of the people of South Africa against any brutality, we are as thorough as possible, so that those in power do not abuse it any way." 

Sarjoo told News24 they will be monitoring the situation and intend to redraft their application, depending on the behaviour of the army and police. Based on this, they will decide whether to approach the courts again.

ALSO READ | Minister to SANDF: Do not use excessive force against citizens

She added that other people and organisations have approached FES, wanting to be involved in the application, which was the main reason for the withdrawal.

"We thought it best in the circumstances to withdraw and bolster our already strong case."


- Stay up to date and stay healthy. Subscribe to Health24’s Daily Dose newsletter for important updates on the spread of the coronavirus. Register and manage your newsletters in the new News24 app by clicking on the Profile tab.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Eskom has considered continuous load shedding at Stage 2, instead of introducing it when the power system faces a crunch. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I'm all for it - we're going to have power cuts regardless, so we might as well have some stability to better plan our lives
45% - 4667 votes
No thanks! I prefer having periods of no load shedding and we cannot normalise this crisis
55% - 5720 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.07
-0.6%
Rand - Pound
19.27
+0.6%
Rand - Euro
17.38
-0.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.66
+0.3%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.1%
Gold
1,634.02
-0.6%
Silver
18.70
-0.9%
Palladium
2,061.00
-0.6%
Platinum
856.50
-0.2%
Brent Crude
86.15
-5.0%
Top 40
57,290
+0.3%
All Share
63,626
+0.3%
Resource 10
56,215
-0.2%
Industrial 25
79,529
+1.4%
Financial 15
13,982
-1.1%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE