Durban - Paramedics in Durban raced to the aid of an unusual patient on Friday – a puppy bitten by a snake.
Crisis Medical spokesperson Neil Powell said that medics responded to help the plucky pooch on Friday.
“The caller informed paramedics that the puppy had been bitten by a snake on Thursday night and that it was in need of medical care. With an ambulance available and in close proximity, Crisis Medical's control-centre dispatched a unit to the scene,” he said.
“On arrival, paramedics found a small Staffie by the name of Storm who was bitten on her lower jaw. Snake experts informed paramedics that the snake was not highly venomous but that intravenous fluids would be needed to dilute the venom in her system,” Powell said.
He said that a local veterinary surgeon supported this information and gave the necessary guidelines to the paramedics to successfully administer IV fluids to Storm.
“Storm is currently in a stable condition and happily resting at home with her loving family. If her condition deteriorates at all, she will be taken to the local vet for further care,” he said.
“Although Storm was not one of our usual patients, paramedics were eager to help as all lives matter.”