Mbombela - Suspicions have been raised that the removal of the remains of two bodies buried at Nelspruit Qabrastan cemetery last week could be muti-related.
"I was very shocked and didn't believe that even dead people get stolen. And this really upsets me," said treasurer of the cemetery Yaseen Mohamad.
Mohamad says he came across the empty graves on January 6. The remains were apparently stolen by thieves who left behind the skull of one of the bodies next to a grave. A cloth used to cover the remains was also found in the graveyard.
Mohamad said one of the deceased was buried in 1968 and the other in 2013. He said this was the first incident of its kind at the cemetery.
"I feel so bad and what a very cruel act. I'm telling you – those who are behind this will not find peace and deserve to be punished."
Mohamad said he does not know what could be behind this cruel act but he suspects that it might have to do with muti.
"When I arrived at work [on Friday], I noticed that something was not right and I saw heaps of soil from two graves. I then went to investigate and discovered that two bodies were stolen."
The Nelspruit Muslim Burial Services said they would approach the Mbombela Local Municipality in Mpumalanga with a request for lights to be installed in the area and for security to be beefed up.
Mpumalanga police spokesperson Sergeant Gerald Sedibe said police were investigating the violation of the graves.