Johannesburg – Convicted murderer Oscar Pistorius is back in prison after being rushed to hospital over the weekend following a medical emergency, the department of correctional services said on Sunday.
“The official report is that he [Pistorius] made a call [for help] after falling off his bed,” said correctional services spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo.
The official told News24 that it was not possible to comment on an earlier report by the City Press newspaper that Pistorius had intentionally injured his wrists.
“We are not allowed to comment on medical information,” he said.
Another Correctional Services spokesperson Manelisi Wolela confirmed that Pistorius suffered "minor injuries on his wrists".
"Oscar Pistorius denied speculations of a suicide attempt," Wolela said.
Pistorius called for help after the incident on Saturday, Nxumalo said, and medical practitioners were called to assess him. They subsequently decided he needed to be taken to Pretoria’s Kalafong Hospital.
On Sunday morning, Nxumalo confirmed Pistorius was "back in our care now".
City Press reported that two warders with knowledge of the hospital section said blades had been found in Pistorius’ cell during a search on Saturday afternoon.
But Nxumalo said that report was being treated as “a mere allegation”. He said Pistorius’ cell was searched in the past following allegations of preferential treatment.
Meanwhile, the Pistorius family declined to comment on the weekend’s events. “The family will not be responding to these media reports at this stage,” said family spokesperson, Anneliese Burgess.
This weekend marks the start of the Rio Olympics; prior to the murder of Reeva Steenkamp in February 2013, Pistorius was the country’s foremost Paralympian. He also took part in the Summer Olympics.