Pretoria homeless attack: Man in court but on a different docket

accreditation
Manusi Mothupi appears in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court for the attempted murder of a homeless man (Photographer: Alex Mitchley)
Manusi Mothupi appears in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court for the attempted murder of a homeless man (Photographer: Alex Mitchley)

A man accused of stabbing a homeless man in May this year has made his first appearance in court, albeit on a different docket.

Manusi Mothupi, who was arrested last week, was supposed to appear in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Friday in connection with the attempted murder of a homeless man opposite Magnolia Park in February.

However, it has since emerged that the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) had declined to prosecute that case due to insufficient evidence.

On Monday, Mothupi made a brief appearance in court on a different attempted murder charge involving another victim who was allegedly stabbed in Sunnyside in May.

The matter was postponed to July 8, for confirmation of his address. He claims to have a valid address in Polokwane, Limpopo.

Previously, the NPA said Mothupi did not make his first appearance in court on Friday, as the case was not placed on the court roll because he was only brought to court after 48 hours.

"A person must be brought to court within 48 hours of their arrest," NPA spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane said.

The police, however, denied this, saying the suspect would appear in court on Monday.

Not connected to other murders

"The man was not released and the case will proceed on Monday," police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubele told News24.

Both the police and NPA have insisted that Mothupi was not connected to the murders of five homeless men in the Muckleneuk area in June.

News24 earlier reported that the accused was arrested after a homeless man opened a case last week, claiming that he had been stabbed earlier this year.

He was arrested on Wednesday, according to the police.

News24 previously reported that the police had tracked down homeless men who said they had been attacked by a man, who was wearing a balaclava, while they were sleeping.

They were all attacked in the Muckleneuk area.

A homeless man, who did not want to reveal his identity, told News24 that he had woken up in the early hours of the morning last month to find a man violently stabbing him.

The man said the attack happened at around 03:00 and his attacker was wearing a black hooded jacket and wielding a large knife.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Children between 12 and 17 can now be vaccinated against Covid-19. As a parent I am:
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Relieved, it's been a long wait to this point
50% - 2577 votes
A bit hesitant, and will wait to see how it goes
21% - 1096 votes
Completely against my child getting the shot
28% - 1435 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.82
-1.0%
Rand - Pound
20.37
-0.7%
Rand - Euro
17.24
-1.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.06
-1.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-1.4%
Gold
1,792.94
+0.5%
Silver
24.31
+0.6%
Palladium
2,025.00
+0.2%
Platinum
1,043.17
-1.0%
Brent Crude
84.61
-1.4%
Top 40
60,525
+1.7%
All Share
67,051
+1.5%
Resource 10
62,969
+2.5%
Industrial 25
86,659
+1.4%
Financial 15
13,849
+0.2%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE