- A 49-year-old convict serving life in prison received an additional 25 years for a cash-in-transit heist committed 22 years ago.
- Thabo Dube appeared before the Nelspruit Regional Court in Mpumalanga on Wednesday.
- He was previously convicted for a 2017 heist.
A 49-year-old convict serving a life sentence for a cash-in-transit (CIT) robbery was handed another 25-year jail term after he was linked to a heist 22 years ago.
Thabo Dube, who appeared before the Nelspruit Regional Court in Mpumalanga on Wednesday, was convicted of attacking a cash van travelling between Graskop and Bushbuckridge, Mpumalanga, on 17 April 2000.
On that day, a group of heavily-armed criminals bombed the van, stole almost R1 million and escaped, said Mpumalanga Hawks spokesperson Captain Dineo Lucy Sekgotodi.
After more than two decades, the case was handed to the Hawks to investigate, she said.
"During the investigation, the accused was linked through fingerprints at the crime scene," Sekgotodi said, adding that authorities then established that Dube was already serving a 25-year term for a cash-in-transit heist in October 2017 at Klerksdorp.
Dube, according to Sekgotodi, was requisitioned from prison on 30 June 2022, to appear in court.
She said he was in custody until Wednesday, when he was given an additional 25 years for robbery and two counts of attempted murder.
The Provincial Head of the Hawks in Mpumalanga Major General Zodwa Mokoena, applauded the determination and dedication of the team to ensure that justice was served.
"We shall continue with the good relationship with the community to uproot the thorns from the community," she vowed.