Sibanye-Stillwater CEO 'traumatised' by surge in mine deaths

accreditation
Sibanye Gold CEO Neal Froneman. (Photo: Gallo Images)
Sibanye Gold CEO Neal Froneman. (Photo: Gallo Images)

Sibanye-Stillwater CEO Neal Froneman said he was "deeply saddened and traumatised" to have lost so many mineworkers at the mine's operations. 

"In my entire 40-year career in mining, I have never experienced anything like this. I am deeply saddened and traumatised to have lost so many Sibanye-Stillwater family members in this way," Froneman said during a conference call on Monday afternoon. 

The aim of the conference call was to address recent safety incidents and other relevant issues. 

The death toll at Sibanye-Stillwater's operations this year alone stands at more than 20 close to half of the fatalities in the entire mining industry. 

Froneman said, during the five years prior to 2018, operations have delivered industry reading safety rates. 

READ: Spate of deaths at Sibanye-Stilwater is a crime against humanity - AMCU

He said 2017 marked an extensive roll-out of a revised safety strategy early in the year and there was a significant improvement in all safety indicators. 

According to Froneman, the country's gold operations experienced no fatalities for four months until early February 2018.

"Whatever we do, it will not bring back those men to their family."

'Seismic activity'

Referring to the May 3 incident where seven workers were killed during a seismic event, he said seismic events were common across the gold fields areas. 

"Seismic activity is common across the western gold fields and on average, our Kloof and Driefontein mines experience 640 events of between one and two magnitudes a year, and approximately 84 larger-than-two-magnitude events on average a year." 

In a separate incident on June 11, five miners died when they entered a ventilation shaft. 

Froneman said photographs revealed that the ventilation shaft had been locked and marked with "no-entry signs" and it was unclear why the miners entered the area. 

He said the Department of Minerals Resources was still investigating the incident. 

Sibanye-Stillwater has also appointed an expert in mining safety Cobus de Jager as corporate head of safe. 

De Jager boasts more than 40 years of experience in mining safety. 

His primary focus will be to fully review the company's safety management systems and processes. 

"We are taking structured and well-defined steps to restore our safety performance," Froneman said.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Facebook is facing a fresh crisis after a former employee turned whistle-blower leaked internal company research. Do you still use Facebook?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, the benefits outweigh the risk for me
32% - 2346 votes
No, I have deleted it
38% - 2782 votes
Yes, but I am considering deleting it
31% - 2258 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.68
+0.7%
Rand - Pound
20.18
+0.3%
Rand - Euro
17.06
+0.3%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.89
-0.1%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.5%
Gold
1,777.11
+0.6%
Silver
23.56
+1.5%
Palladium
2,053.62
+2.0%
Platinum
1,055.00
+1.6%
Brent Crude
84.33
-0.6%
Top 40
60,221
0.0%
All Share
66,792
0.0%
Resource 10
63,626
0.0%
Industrial 25
84,496
0.0%
Financial 15
14,073
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE