A 36-year-old suspect has appeared in court after allegedly kidnapping a 2-year-old child in Johannesburg.
The boy was allegedly taken from his Cosmo City home last week, police spokesperson Captain Amanda van Wyk said.
"A relentless search led by Honeydew Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences (FCS) Unit detectives and other role players resulted in the finding of a kidnapped 2-year old boy on Saturday, two days after he was reported missing. According to the mother, her son had allegedly been taken from their home by a known suspect in Cosmo City on Thursday," Van Wyk said.
The toddler was found unharmed and police facilitated his reunion with his mother.
The suspect appeared in the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court on Tuesday on a charge of kidnapping.
"Members of the public are reminded that there is no waiting period to report a missing child," Van Wyk added.
Do you want to know more about this topic? Sign up for one of News24's 33 newsletters to receive the information you want in your inbox. Special newsletters are available to subscribers.