Johannesburg - The Ormonde Primary School Governing Body (SGB) said they will only consider bringing back all the pupils once the education department delivers on all its promises.
Speaking to News24, SGB chairperson Teddy Nair said they were not satisfied with the number of mobile toilets that were delivered on Thursday morning by the education department. Nair said 20 VIP toilets could not accommodate 700 learners.
"We are looking at 700 kids with 20 toilets. This is still a bit risky. Let's be honest, if you have a Grade 7 boy and a Grade 4 girl in same place, something can happen, so they need to ensure that toilets are separate for the kids and then only will we consider bringing back all the kids," Nair said.
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi visited the school on Wednesday and instructed his department to deliver flushing toilets immediately. Lesufi said he was not satisfied with the school's toilet facilities.
The SGB shut down the school, complaining of problems with sanitation, and no phones and electricity. Nair, however, said the efforts made by the education department meant there had been progress. He said their priority at the moment was water and sanitation.
"At this point you are looking at progress. We will see how far the progress goes. On Sunday morning, we will sit as the SGB and assess whether or not to send SMSes to parents to bring back their kids," he said.
Nair told News24 they would also tackle the teacher shortage at a later stage. "We are short of six teachers, but that is a story for another day. Let's focus on this first," he said.
When News24 visited the school, only 45 learners had reported back and construction was still in progress. An education official told News24 they would complete the connection of the school's sewer pipeline with the main pipeline by Monday.