Durban – Tshwane Mayor Solly Msimanga was rushed to hospital on Monday morning after he was exposed to the engine fumes of a car belonging to a stranded motorists he was helping.
His spokesperson Samkelo Mgobozi said Msimanga was on his way to work at the Centurion municipal offices when he stopped to help a motorist who was experiencing car trouble.
When he opened the car's bonnet, fumes were released and Msimanga sustained injuries.
It is not clear where on his body the injuries are and how serious they are at this stage. However, according to a Citizen report, he sustained minor burns.
"When he got to the office, he experienced shortages of breath and then was taken to the hospital to be treated for the burns as well as the shortage of breath as a result of being exposed to some of the fumes that emanated from the vehicle."
Mgobozi said the vehicle's engine was overheating when the incident took place.
"He is fine now and has a press conference scheduled for tomorrow, so we are expecting him back at work," Mgobozi said.
It is also not clear what happened to the motorist whom Msimanga was assisting.