NPA to appeal Oscar sentencing, conviction

accreditation
(Picture: AFP)
(Picture: AFP)

Cape Town - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has announced their plan to appeal the conviction and sentencing of Oscar Pistorius, according to reports.

According to Eyewitness News the NPA made the announcement on Monday afternoon.

Journalist Alex Eliseev quoted the NPA saying their prosecutors are preparing the necessary papers in order to be able to file within the next few days.

Sapa reported that NPA spokesperson Nathi Mncube said in a statement: "The appeal on conviction is based on the question of law.

"The merits and the demerits of the NPA's argument in this regard will become evident when we file papers for leave to appeal."

Last Tuesday Pistorius was sentenced to five years in prison for the culpable homicide killing of his girlfriend, law graduate and model Reeva Steenkamp.

For discharging a firearm at Tasha's restaurant in January 2013, he was sentenced to three years' jail, suspended for five years.

The sentences would run concurrently, Judge Thokozile Masipa ruled.

Mncube said that prosecutor Gerrie Nel and Advocate Andrea Johnson, had been studying the judgment, doing research and consulting legal experts to establish if there were sufficient grounds to lodge appeals.

"The prosecutors are now preparing the necessary papers in order to be able to file within the next few days."

On Sunday  the NPA denied a report that the appeal against Pistorius's conviction and sentence will start next month.

"It is not true," Mncube said at the time.

He denied a Sunday Times report that State prosecutor Gerrie Nel would discuss the matter with National Director of Public Prosecutions Mxolisi Nxasana on Monday.

Nxasana would reportedly decide whether to appeal.

According to the report, the appeal process was scheduled to start on 3 November.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Should Proteas star Quinton de Kock continue playing at the T20 World Cup even if he doesn't take the knee in support of the fight against racism?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes! He should be allowed to show his support any way he chooses
36% - 607 votes
No! If De Kock refuses to unite with his teammates, then he should be on the next plane home
12% - 201 votes
The only ones at fault here are Cricket SA, who have sabotaged another Proteas World Cup
52% - 861 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.97
-0.8%
Rand - Pound
20.59
-0.6%
Rand - Euro
17.37
-0.8%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.23
-0.8%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-1.3%
Gold
1,787.47
-0.3%
Silver
23.96
-0.8%
Palladium
1,993.50
-0.8%
Platinum
1,020.50
-1.0%
Brent Crude
86.40
+0.5%
Top 40
60,797
-0.3%
All Share
67,494
-0.2%
Resource 10
63,048
-0.4%
Industrial 25
87,148
-0.2%
Financial 15
14,043
+0.2%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE