SA seeks release of abducted couple

Johannesburg - The two people abducted in the Yemeni town of Taiz, are indeed South Africans, the international relations department said on Tuesday.

They were believed to have been involved in the development of the hotel from which they were abducted on Monday, said spokesperson Clayson Monyela.

"The details are sketchy, but partly, they are thought to be involved in a hotel development dispute between the landlord and the people involved. That's what we have been told," he said.

"We have confirmed that they are South Africans, and we are sending our ambassador to engage with authorities tomorrow [on Wednesday] to intervene and assist."

Previously, the French news agency Agence-France Presse quoted an official as saying the kidnappers came from the Janadiyah area, 35km east of Taiz.

The official told AFP the kidnappers belonged to a local chief, who had had a long-running dispute with the authorities about a plot of land, and that it was possible the tourists were being used for bargaining.

 
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Who do you think is going to win the 2020 US election?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Biden is going to take it
47% - 7786 votes
It's four more years for Trump
53% - 8941 votes
Vote
All Share
55339.58
(+0.99)
Top 40
50692.28
(+0.83)
Financial 15
10790.70
(+3.99)
Industrial 25
74905.70
(+1.05)
Resource 10
52561.57
(-0.49)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo