New York - From the beaches of France where Dunkirk took place to a historic Toronto theater where Shape of Water was filmed, fans can visit many of the real-world destinations depicted in this year's Oscar-nominated movies.
A few other locations for film mavens:
- Get Out was filmed in Fairhope, Alabama.
- Tonya Harding is from Portland, Oregon, but the movie I, Tonya about her ill-fated skating career was shot mostly in Georgia, including at a rink where the public can skate: Duluth Ice Forum.
- Parts of Mudbound were filmed in St. James Parish, Louisiana.
- Locations for All the Money in the World included, among other places, the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich, London, which stood in as J. Paul Getty's residence, and Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome and Bracciano, outside Rome, according to tourism representatives for those countries. Rome's Capitoline museum is mentioned in a pivotal scene where Michelle Williams' character seeks to sell a figurine. None of the film was shot at the Getty Villa in Pacific Palisades, California, according to a Villa spokeswoman, but various objects collected by Getty are on view there.
- The Florida Project, about a spunky little girl growing up amid impoverished families at a motel in the shadow of Disney World, probably won't lead to too many visitors to stay at the Magic Castle Inn and Suites in Kissimmee, Florida. Rooms are only $39 but TripAdvisor reviews are not good.
What to read next on Traveller24: