Cape Town - South African Airways (SAA) has cancelled flights between Johannesburg and Washington DC via Accra, Ghana, due to bad weather associated with “Winter Storm Jonas”.
Delays and cancellations are mounting across the eastern US as servere blizzard conditions are expected to dump excessive snow from Washington DC to Philadelphia and New York City.
“In the interests of safety of our passengers and crew, we took a decision to cancel both outbound and inbound flights between Johannesburg and Washington DC for travel on Friday, 22 January and Saturday, 23 January respectively. This decision was based on weather reports that predict extremely unfavourable conditions for take-off and/or landing in Washington DC”, said SAA spokesperson Tlali Tlali.
SAA operates daily between Johannesburg and two
destinations in the United States of America, namely, New York City and
“Whilst the service between Johannesburg and New York City remains unaffected, SAA is monitoring the situation on a continuous basis in liaison with the airports authorities in New York and will issue another travel advisory should the need arise” Tlali said.
Travellers and customers are advised to take note of the following affected flights:
Friday, 22 January 2016
- SA 209 from Johannesburg (JNB) to Washington (IAD)
- SA 209 from Johannesburg (JNB) to Accra (ACC)
Saturday, 23 January 2016
- SA 210 from Washington (IAD) to Johannesburg (JNB)
- SA210 from Accra (ACC) to Johannesburg (JNB)
Assistance will be provided to all ticketed passengers holding South African Airway’s Tickets (only) via any SAA Call Centre, City Travel Office or dedicated Travel Agent with the following conditions.
- Rebook onto
another South African Airways flight for a later date at no extra charge
and subject to availability of the same booking class
- Change of cabin will not be permitted
- Change of routing will not be permitted
- This policy is applicable to South African Airways flights only, issued on SA (083) ticket stock and not on separate tickets of other airlines
- Tickets must be re-issued on/before January 26, 2016
- Travel must commence on/before January 31, 2016
Johannesburg | 27 (0) 11 978 1111 or 0860 606 606
USA Fort Lauderdale | 1 (800) 722 9675
South African Airways said it regrets any
inconvenience caused and advised customers to visit SAA website www.flysaa.com for all flight updates and or flight