WATCH | Pants on fire: Man's power bank explodes in his pocket

accreditation

Twenty-nine-year-old Lwando Mashiamahle was waiting for his girlfriend who was queuing to buy a plane ticket at OR Tambo International Airport when the power bank in his pocket overheated and combusted into flames.

Fortunately, he was not injured, but he did lose his pants in the incident.

Airport staff sent him the footage of the incident captured on CCTV camera, which he sent to a friend who posted it on Twitter with the heading: "Guys stop buying power banks ko Small street (sic)".

"Fortunately I have no injuries but my pants were burnt and I had to quickly find the nearest shop to buy a new pair," he told News24.

Mashiamahle, who is based in Cape Town, was in Johannesburg to visit his girlfriend and to interview for a potential job as a petrol attendant.

READ | Virgin Atlantic flight makes emergency landing after power bank blast

He bought the power bank from a vendor in Small Street, Johannesburg. 

'Thought it was normal'

He told News24 that he left his power bank charging overnight because he knew he would need it the next day - and maybe he overcharged it.

"It felt quite hot in my pocket but I thought it was normal, like sometimes your phone heats up when you're using it, but I never thought it could explode," he said.

According to Mashiamahle, it was a "very, very bad" experience because he didn't know what was actually happening.

"I was so shocked, I didn't know what to do, I automatically just lost my mind. I was very, very scared," he said.

Mashiamahle went back to the vendor to tell them what had happened but he couldn't find him.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Nappies, they cost too much
6% - 262 votes
Formula and food, it's getting so expensive
18% - 711 votes
Creche and school fees are a struggle every month
76% - 3062 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
15.98
+0.7%
Rand - Pound
19.79
+0.3%
Rand - Euro
16.78
+0.3%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.21
-0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.12
+1.2%
Gold
1,815.87
-0.1%
Silver
21.47
+0.3%
Palladium
2,028.50
+0.6%
Platinum
933.50
-0.5%
Brent Crude
109.11
-2.6%
Top 40
62,494
0.0%
All Share
69,083
0.0%
Resource 10
71,795
0.0%
Industrial 25
76,804
0.0%
Financial 15
16,026
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE