Diyarbakir - Five children were wounded on Friday when suspected militants hurled a hand-made explosive device into a schoolyard in majority-Kurdish southeast Turkey, security sources said, blaming the attack on the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK).
The blast ripped through the yard of a secondary school in Baglar district of Diyarbakir province where students had gathered during a classroom break, a security source told AFP.
The students were about to enter their classrooms to pick up their school report cards on the last day of the semester when the blast occurred, the source added.
Five students were hospitalised after suffering cuts from shattered glass, but none of them was in serious condition.
The Turkish government has been waging a relentless offensive aimed at crippling the PKK, which has staged a string of attacks against security forces in Turkey since a more than two-year-old ceasefire fell apart in late July.
Vowing to flush out the PKK from Turkey's urban centres, the authorities have in recent weeks enforced curfews in three locations in the southeast to back up military operations that activists say have killed dozens of civilians.
Six people were killed, including three children, last week in a truck bomb attack that ripped through a police station and an adjacent housing complex for officers' families in the town of Cinar in Diyarbakir.
The PKK claimed responsibility on Saturday for the bombing, but apologised for having killed civilians.