Macron's candidate for Paris mayor says withdrawing over sex video

Emmanuel Macron (File: AFP)
Emmanuel Macron (File: AFP)

Emmanuel Macron's candidate for Paris mayor, Benjamin Griveaux, withdrew from the race over a leaked sex video on Friday, in a blow for the French president's party ahead of March local elections.

Griveaux, 41, said he opted for retreat to protect his family after a website published the video with messages addressed to a woman, which was said to have come from the former government spokesman.

It then spread on social media.

"A website and social networks have launched vile attacks concerning my private life. My family does not deserve this. No one should ever be subjected to such abuse," Griveaux said at AFP headquarters in Paris.

"For more than a year, my family and I have been subjected to defamatory remarks, lies, rumours, anonymous attacks, the revelation of stolen private conversations and death threats," he said.

"As if this was not enough, yesterday a new level was reached," said Griveaux, adding he was not willing to expose his family any further.

"This is going too far."

The ambitious Griveaux helped found the Republic on the Move (LREM) party, but recent polls showed him trailing in third place in Paris, which Macron won comfortably in the 2017 presidential election.

Macron tapped Griveaux to be the LREM's Paris mayoral candidate, causing a rift in the party that led to the president asking rival Cedric Villani to step aside.

Villani refused, triggering his exclusion from the ruling party.

Wresting control of the capital would be a huge prize for Macron as he seeks to consolidate his base ahead of an expected re-election bid in 2022.

It would also help offset heavy losses he is expected to face in rural areas, where his policies have met fierce resistance and fired up the "yellow vest" protest movement.

One of Macron's closest political allies, Griveaux resigned as a junior minister and government spokesperson in March last year to run for mayor.

Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
A few positive Covid-19 cases have been confirmed at two SA rugby franchises.. Should teams proceed with return to training protocols?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, SA rugby is already behind the eight ball compared to New Zealand and Australia
14% - 184 votes
It’s too dangerous, the country is only now heading into the Covid-19 storm!
41% - 558 votes
Get the ball rolling, Covid-19 is here to stay as the 'new normal'
45% - 619 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
16.84
(-0.27)
ZAR/GBP
21.15
(+0.32)
ZAR/EUR
19.11
(-0.58)
ZAR/AUD
11.69
(-0.14)
ZAR/JPY
0.16
(+0.06)
Gold
1802.44
(+0.14)
Silver
19.07
(+1.63)
Platinum
826.18
(+0.59)
Brent Crude
43.02
(0.00)
Palladium
1965.00
(+0.71)
All Share
56199.46
(+1.41)
Top 40
51874.81
(+1.41)
Financial 15
10703.82
(+2.21)
Industrial 25
76910.63
(+1.02)
Resource 10
53327.86
(+1.61)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo