Notorious 'pillowcase rapist' back in state mental hospital

 Christopher Hubbart, a notorious rapist who muffled victim’s screams with a pillowcase is back in a state mental hospital. (AP)
Christopher Hubbart, a notorious rapist who muffled victim’s screams with a pillowcase is back in a state mental hospital. (AP)

Los Angeles - A notorious rapist who muffled victim's screams with a pillowcase was back in a state mental hospital on Tuesday, two years after he was released over the protests of prosecutors and women who feared he would attack again.

Christopher Hubbart, 65, is not accused of a new crime, but was picked up by the Department of State Hospitals, said District Attorney Jackie Lacey, who is under a gag order and could not discuss further details.

"The good news is tonight ... he's back in a state hospital," Lacey told KFI-AM . "That's probably the safest place."

Hubbart violated terms of his release and the company supervising his program returned him to Coalinga State Hospital, Santa Clara County Superior Court spokesman Joseph Macaluso.

Macaluso didn't provide details.

Lacey had fought Hubbart's release and angry residents of the Antelope Valley, north of Los Angeles, where he was relocated to, had demonstrated regularly outside his remote house where he lived under 24-hour guard and strict conditions.

Women shouted through bullhorns that he didn't belong there and should be locked up. Some burned effigies and carried signs saying "burn in hell."

‘Ecstatic to hear he is gone’

A woman who spent 18 months protesting his release implored the Santa Clara County judge to keep him out of her community said she was ecstatic to hear he was gone.

"I feel like I won the lottery," Cheryl Holbrook said. "We're praying real hard that they keep him locked up. He's exactly where he needs to be."

Hubbart, dubbed the "pillowcase rapist," has acknowledged raping at least 40 women, several following stints behind bars. He has been in and out of prisons and state psychiatric hospitals since his first rape conviction in 1972.

After reoffending and serving more time, Hubbart was declared a sexually violent predator in 2000 and committed to a state-run psychiatric hospital.

A Northern California judge in 2013 ordered Hubbart released after doctors said he had completed treatment and was fit to live in the community. The judge ordered that he live in Southern California near where he grew up, though his notoriety made it difficult to find housing.

When he was released in 2014, he moved into a small house in the desert on the outskirts of Palmdale.

Hubbart had to comply with conditions that included wearing a monitoring device around his ankle, attending therapy and undergoing lie detector tests and random searches of his home. He was also ordered not to view movies or online material that would arouse him.

Prosecutors tried to have him returned to custody last year after the batteries in his ankle monitor twice ran too low. A judge denied the request.

Lacey said she wasn't told why he was picked up, but expects to find out at a court hearing in 15 days in Santa Clara County.

An email sent to Hubbart's defence lawyer for comment was not returned.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
Voting Booth
When a Covid-19 vaccine for under 16's becomes available, will you be taking your children to get it?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Yes, immediately!
37% - 2485 votes
I'll wait to see how others respond
26% - 1764 votes
No, I don't think they need it
37% - 2460 votes
Brent Crude
All Share
Top 40
Financial 15
Industrial 25
Resource 10
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo