Geneva - A second woman has died from her injuries after a grisly attack on a Swiss train earlier in August, in which a man started a fire and stabbed passengers, prosecutors said on Wednesday.
"In the course of the night, another victim - a 17-year-old - succumbed to her injuries in hospital," the prosecution office in the eastern canton of St Gallen said in a statement.
The woman was one of six people injured in the August 13 attack on a moving train near Salez station, not far from the eastern border with Liechtenstein and Austria.
A 27-year-old Swiss man used a flammable liquid to start a fire in a carriage and began stabbing passengers.
The attacker, who died of his injuries in the hours following the attack, was identified by media as Simon S., and described by neighbours and acquaintances as a "loner" who "had been teased his whole life".
Police have not revealed his motive, but have said it did not appear to have been politically motivated or an act of terrorism.
A 34-year-old woman, reportedly a Croatian national and mother of two, died the next day of stab wounds.
The Blick daily has identified the 17-year-old victim as Melissa B., a dentistry student who lived in Liechtenstein, and reported that she had been burned over 75% of her body in the attack.
A witness to the attack told the 20 Minuten daily at the time that he had seen the young woman on fire.
"She was burning from head to toe, like a torch," he said.
A six-year-old girl reportedly remains in hospital after the attack, but is not in a critical condition.
Her 43-year-old mother was also injured in the attack, as were two men aged 17 and 50, but they have been discharged from hospital.