Turkey detains WSJ reporter for three days

accreditation
(iStock)
(iStock)

Ankara - Turkey detained a staff journalist for The Wall Street Journal for almost three days without access to a lawyer, the newspaper reported on Saturday, adding to growing concerns over press freedom in the country.

Dion Nissenbaum was taken into custody on Tuesday by police at his Istanbul home, for allegedly violating a ban on publishing images from an Islamic State group (ISIS) video, the newspaper said on its website.

Although the paper provided no further details, ISIS jihadists last week shared a video purportedly showing two Turkish soldiers captured in Syria being burned alive.

Ankara said earlier this week there was no confirmation of the ISIS claims.

The 49-year-old American correspondent was held for two-and-a-half days without access to lawyers or contact with his family, the WSJ said, adding for most of the period, it "couldn't determine" his location.

His detention comes a day after one of Turkey's best-known investigative journalists, Ahmet Sik, was charged with "making terror propaganda" on behalf of those alleged to be behind the failed coup in July and Kurdish rebels.

According to the P24 Platform for Independent Journalism, 118 journalists have been arrested during the state of emergency imposed after the attempted putsch against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Istanbul police authorities had no immediate reaction to the WSJ report.

However, Ankara insists it does not jail journalists because of their job.

The WSJ's editor-in-chief Gerard Baker said although the paper was "relieved that Dion was released unharmed after nearly three days, we remain outraged at his peremptory detention, without any contact with his family, legal counsel or colleagues".

The paper claimed plainclothes officers detaining the journalist told him he would be deported, comments heard by another WSJ member of staff who had been on the phone with Nissenbaum at the time. This threat was later dropped, Nissenbaum said.

Nissenbaum said he was "physically comfortable and treated well" during his time in a detention centre outside Istanbul.

He was released on Friday and has now left Turkey for the United States accompanied by his family, the WSJ added.

He thanked well-wishers on Twitter, describing his detention as a "very trying ordeal".

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Should Proteas star Quinton de Kock continue playing at the T20 World Cup even if he doesn't take the knee in support of the fight against racism?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes! He should be allowed to show his support any way he chooses
39% - 1958 votes
No! If De Kock refuses to unite with his teammates, then he should be on the next plane home
12% - 605 votes
The only ones at fault here are Cricket SA, who have sabotaged another Proteas World Cup
50% - 2515 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
15.06
-0.0%
Rand - Pound
20.68
-0.1%
Rand - Euro
17.47
-0.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.30
+0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.3%
Gold
1,800.26
+0.2%
Silver
24.07
+0.0%
Palladium
1,981.00
+0.8%
Platinum
1,018.00
+0.6%
Brent Crude
84.58
-2.1%
Top 40
60,874
0.0%
All Share
67,475
0.0%
Resource 10
63,082
0.0%
Industrial 25
87,253
0.0%
Financial 15
14,054
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE