DR Congo to probe allegations of sex abuse by Ebola workers

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Ebola staff. (Patrick Meinhardt, AFP)
Ebola staff. (Patrick Meinhardt, AFP)
  • The Congolese government said it would send investigators to North Kivu to carry out an inquiry.
  • Health Minister Eteni Longondo said appropriate punishment would be meted out to the perpetrators.
  • In an investigation by Thomson Reuters Foundation and The New Humanitarian news organisation more than 50 women said they had been sexually abused.


DR Congo said Thursday it would launch an inquiry into accusations that international workers in an anti-Ebola campaign had sexually abused local women.

A report last month said dozens of women described sexual exploitation by aid workers from the UN's World Health Organisation (WHO) and leading NGOs during the 2018-2020 Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

"The Congolese government will act. We are going to set up an investigative team which will go to North Kivu (province) to carry out the inquiry there," Health Minister Eteni Longondo told a press conference in Kinshasa.

The investigators will "establish who is responsible" and mete out punishment, he vowed.

The year-long probe by the Thomson Reuters Foundation and The New Humanitarian news organisation took testimony from more than 50 women.

They said they were sexually propositioned, forced to have sex in exchange for a job or had their contracts terminated when they refused.

The WHO and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) have each promised to carry out their own investigation.

In addition to the probe by the DRC authorities, "we contacted the WHO, which is going to organise an international inquiry, because most of those implicated in this kind of sexual exploitation are international employees," said Longondo.

ALSO READ | DR Congo declares end to deadly measles epidemic

He added that he had also contacted the UN's children's fund, UNICEF.

Longondo also said the government would launch a separate inquiry into employees with DR Congo nationality "in order to prevent this kind of behaviour" in the latest outbreak of Ebola, in the northwest of the vast country.

Fifty people have died of the disease in Equateur province since June.

"We will immediately prosecute anyone who is caught," the minister promised.

The 2018-20 epidemic, centered overwhelmingly in North Kivu, claimed 2 287 lives.

It was the second-highest toll in the 44-year history of Ebola, outstripped only by an outbreak in three West African countries between 2013 and 2016 that caused 11 000 deaths.

Around a billion dollars was spent to roll back the outbreak, bringing in well-heeled foreign workers into a deeply poor region.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
When planning for the Black Friday sales do you:
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Save, research and plan ahead, preparing to make the most of it?
8% - 906 votes
Wait and see what looks like a good deal on the day?
14% - 1704 votes
Have no interest in spending more money this year?
78% - 9379 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
15.21
(+0.91)
ZAR/GBP
20.31
(+0.88)
ZAR/EUR
18.08
(+0.71)
ZAR/AUD
11.19
(+0.24)
ZAR/JPY
0.15
(+1.06)
Gold
1807.64
(-1.54)
Silver
23.20
(-1.30)
Platinum
960.00
(+3.66)
Brent Crude
45.51
(+2.15)
Palladium
2340.00
(+0.48)
All Share
57761.92
(+1.08)
Top 40
53049.43
(+1.09)
Financial 15
11674.99
(+2.97)
Industrial 25
80126.12
(+0.26)
Resource 10
52568.48
(+1.54)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo