DRC ex-minister held in Brazzaville over embezzlement case

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Willy Bakonga
Willy Bakonga
@tres35888165
  • Willy Bakonga was arrested while attempting to fly to Paris from Brazzaville on Tuesday.
  • Bakonga is wanted in connection with an embezzlement case involving some $31 million.
  • He previously held the post of education minister since August 2019 under President Tshisekedi.


A former DR Congo minister has been arrested in neighbouring Republic of Congo at the request of authorities in Kinshasa who have accused him of embezzlement, a police source said Wednesday.

Willy Bakonga, a former education minister in the DR Congo, was arrested while attempting to fly to Paris from the Congo capital Brazzaville late Tuesday after Kinshasa requested his extradition, the source said.

DRC prosecutors have been seeking Bakonga since Friday in connection with an embezzlement case.

The police source said intelligence services had detained Bakonga, but did not elaborate.

Bakonga had held the post of education minister since August 2019 under President Felix Tshisekedi.

In November, a report by the DRC's Inspector General of Finances revealed "a number of shortcomings and alleged cases of fraud and corruption in connection with the use of public funds in the sector, as well as weaknesses in internal controls," according to the World Bank.

It estimated that some $31 million had been siphoned off.

ALSO READ | Congo names new cabinet, cementing president's power over predecessor

Bakonga is a major advocate of private schools in Kinshasa, with establishments enrolling thousands of students from kindergarten through high school.

Free primary education is a flagship policy of Tshisekedi, who has been in power since January 2019.

The programme was estimated to cost $2.6 billion when it was launched - more than one-third of the DRC's annual budget for 2021 - even as other public needs like hospitals and roads are lacking.

But the World Bank said in February it was suspending a first tranche of $100 million in a programme to fund free schools in DR Congo over "fraud and corruption" in the education sector.

Two public education officials in the DRC were sentenced to 20 years in prison for embezzlement late last month.

Kinshasa has previously sought in vain the extradition from Congo of General Munene, an official under Joseph Mobutu, who was in power in the then Zaire from 1965 to 1997.


Do you want to know more about this topic? Sign up for one of News24's 33 newsletters to receive the information you want in your inbox. Special newsletters are available to subscribers.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
As South Africa faces down the third Covid-19 wave, how are you keeping your family safe ?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Staying at home, isolating and being careful
19% - 439 votes
Sanitising and wearing masks when we go out
69% - 1626 votes
Going on as usual, we're not afraid of the virus
13% - 302 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.13
-0.0%
Rand - Pound
19.92
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
17.16
-0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.00
-0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.0%
Gold
1,843.76
0.0%
Silver
27.42
0.0%
Palladium
2,894.50
0.0%
Platinum
1,229.50
0.0%
Brent Crude
68.71
+2.5%
Top 40
60,573
+0.6%
All Share
66,598
+0.7%
Resource 10
69,386
-0.1%
Industrial 25
83,277
+0.9%
Financial 15
12,685
+1.5%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo