Ex-adviser to DR Congo president taken to prison after hearing

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Ex-private adviser to President Felix Tshisekedi, Fortunat Biselele, has been transferred to the main prison in Kinshasa.
Ex-private adviser to President Felix Tshisekedi, Fortunat Biselele, has been transferred to the main prison in Kinshasa.
Michele D'ottavio, EyeEm, Getty Images
  • Fortunat Biselele has been transferred to the main prison in Kinshasa after a six-hour hearing with prosecutors.
  • The ex-private adviser to President Felix Tshisekedi was removed from the presidential cabinet on 14 January and taken into custody.
  • Official reasons for his detention remain unknown.


A former presidential adviser in DR Congo who was removed from the cabinet and detained last week has been transferred to the main prison in Kinshasa after a six-hour hearing with prosecutors, according to state media.

"Fortunat Biselele, an influential ex-private adviser to President Felix Tshisekedi was transferred on Friday night to the central prison of Makala" following the marathon hearing, government news agency ACP reported.

Two videos released by the agency showed Biselele, escorted by soldiers, climbing the steps to the prosecutor's office early on Friday evening.

A substantial police presence was also visible at the entrance to the office, according to an AFP journalist.

Later that night, a witness told AFP he had seen Biselele getting into a vehicle under police escort.

Biselele was removed from the presidential cabinet on 14 January and taken into custody, but the official reasons for his detention remain unknown.

An article published by the newsletter Africa Intelligence, however, said he was "suspected of collusion" with the government of Rwandan President Paul Kagame.

The outlet reported that Biselele had tried to "bring Kinshasa and Kigali closer together at the start of Tshisekedi's mandate".

Relations between the two governments have since hit rock bottom, with the DRC accusing Rwanda of supporting M23 rebels who have taken territory in the DRC's east.

The United States, several European countries and United Nations experts agree that Rwanda is assisting the M23.

Kigali, however, has denied the allegations, while accusing the DRC's military of colluding with a rebel group descended from the perpetrators of the Rwandan genocide in 1994.

On Thursday, it accused Kinshasa of abandoning a deal aimed at bringing peace to DR Congo's volatile east as tensions spiral.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What are your thoughts on the possibility of having permanent Stage 2 or 3 load shedding?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I'll take that over constant schedule changes
13% - 890 votes
Why are we normalising Eskom’s mess?
72% - 4890 votes
I've already found alternative ways of powering my home/business
15% - 1047 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
17.41
-1.2%
Rand - Pound
21.50
-0.6%
Rand - Euro
18.89
-0.9%
Rand - Aus dollar
12.29
-0.4%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.5%
Platinum
1,009.02
-0.4%
Palladium
1,637.70
-0.5%
Gold
1,922.40
-0.3%
Silver
23.59
-0.1%
Brent Crude
86.66
-0.9%
Top 40
74,344
-0.6%
All Share
80,325
-0.6%
Resource 10
77,934
+0.1%
Industrial 25
102,701
-1.1%
Financial 15
16,323
+0.3%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE