Fearing deportation, Burundi refugees quit DRC for Rwanda

accreditation
iStock [www.istockphoto.com[]

Nairobi - A group of 2 500 Burundian refugees, fearing repatriation to their home country, moved on Wednesday from the Democratic Republic of Congo to nearby Rwanda, a spokesperson said.

The refugees belong to an obscure Catholic sect that follows a female prophet called Zebiya and claim to have fled their homeland due to religious persecution.

In January the group said humanitarian agencies had stopped delivering them aid, after their refusal to register on a biometric database, which they said would violate their religion.

"It has been two months that we have had no food aid from the (United Nations refugee agency), we were living under threat from our Congolese neighbours and we feared being extradited to Burundi," said a representative of the refugees, Dionyse Nyandwi.

He said the refugees had told the UN mission in DRC, MONUSCO that they wished to leave "for another country where we would be safe" and the peacekeepers escorted them to Rwanda, some five kilometres ( away, on foot.

"We are waiting to be registered ... and we hope for a better welcome from the Rwandans because we speak the same language and have the same culture," said Nyandwi of the Burundians who have a similar ethnic background to Rwandans.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news from around the continent by subscribing to our FREE newsletter, Hello Africa.

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook. 

In September last year 36 Burundian refugees died in clashes with Congolese soldiers during a protest over the detention of some of their counterparts.

The UN in January announced a probe into the violence.

Tens of thousands of Burundians have fled to the eastern DR Congo to escape a wave of violence that unfurled in 2015 after Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza sought a fiercely contested third term in office.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Who do you think was to blame for the opening lap crash at the Silverstone Grand Prix?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Lewis Hamilton
61% - 3659 votes
Max Verstappen
6% - 378 votes
Neither, it was a racing incident
33% - 1946 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.85
-0.0%
Rand - Pound
20.42
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
17.48
-0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.94
-0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.0%
Gold
1,802.28
0.0%
Silver
25.18
0.0%
Palladium
2,675.50
0.0%
Platinum
1,064.50
0.0%
Brent Crude
74.10
+0.4%
Top 40
61,933
+1.0%
All Share
68,064
+1.0%
Resource 10
66,904
+1.5%
Industrial 25
89,442
+0.7%
Financial 15
12,820
+1.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE