Ivory Coast ex-president's ICC freedom bid pushed back

Laurent Gbagbo (File: AFP)
Laurent Gbagbo (File: AFP)

The International Criminal Court on Wednesday pushed back to November a hearing on Ivory Coast former president Laurent Gbagbo's bid for release after defence lawyers said they needed more time.

On Monday the court based in The Hague began dealing with Gbagbo's application to be acquitted of crimes against humanity and to be freed after seven years in detention.

Gbagbo, 73, the first-ever head of state to be handed over to the ICC, has been on trial since 2016 for his role in fomenting post-electoral violence eight years ago in the west African nation.

The hearings were meant to end on Friday, but lawyers for Gbagbo and his right-hand man Charles Ble Goude asked for more time.

"We were confronted with a prosecution response of 1 100 pages and with 1 500 pages of documents on Monday," said Geert-Jan Knoops, lawyer for Ble Goude.

"If we have to study all the details in the transcripts, in which we see a number of inconsistencies, we would need more time."

Judge Cuno Tarfusser granted the request, setting the new hearing for November 12.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Both Gbagbo and Ble Goude pleaded not guilty.

Unrest wracked Ivory Coast for five months from December 2010 until early 2011, after Gbagbo refused to accept his internationally recognised defeat by bitter rival Alassane Ouattara.

The crisis - which saw both sides level allegations of gross abuses - paralysed the world's largest cocoa producer and West African powerhouse for several months.

About 3 000 people died when rival supporters clashed on the streets of Abidjan, one of the region's most cosmopolitan cities.

After a months-long standoff, Gbagbo was arrested by Ouattara's troops aided by UN and French forces, and turned over to the ICC in 2011.

Prosecutors maintain that Gbagbo clung to power "by all means" and that the longtime leader conspired with Ble Goude to orchestrate a plan to stay in power even before he was narrowly defeated by Ouattara.

Defence lawyers however say the prosecution has failed to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt, despite 82 witnesses testifying, thousands of documents of evidence and hundreds of hours of video.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
How has the delay in schools' opening impacted your life?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It's a disaster! We're struggling to manage work and kids at home
41% - 2511 votes
It's a struggle, but we learnt lessons from last year's closures
20% - 1190 votes
It's a relief, this second wave is bad and kids need to be at home
39% - 2368 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
15.23
(-1.31)
ZAR/GBP
20.87
(-0.95)
ZAR/EUR
18.44
(-0.83)
ZAR/AUD
11.68
(-0.23)
ZAR/JPY
0.15
(-0.77)
Gold
1841.29
(-0.50)
Silver
25.15
(-0.99)
Platinum
1066.00
(-2.77)
Brent Crude
55.81
(-0.07)
Palladium
2299.99
(+0.01)
All Share
62784.52
(-1.78)
Top 40
57644.44
(-1.83)
Financial 15
11826.39
(+0.74)
Industrial 25
85836.54
(-1.23)
Resource 10
59579.51
(-3.77)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo