Niger army kills 24 'suspected terrorists', says government

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Niger's soldiers stand at Bosso military camp on June 17, 2016 following attacks by Boko Haram fighters in the Diffa region.
Niger's soldiers stand at Bosso military camp on June 17, 2016 following attacks by Boko Haram fighters in the Diffa region.
Issouf Sanogo, AFP
  • Niger troops killed 24 people, labelled as "terrorists".
  • The government claimed the terrorists were planning an attack on a market town.
  • The dead were prisoners who tried to escape.


Niger troops killed 24 "suspected terrorists" after they sought to escape after being captured in the west of the country, the government said on Sunday.

The suspects had been planning an attack on the market town of Banibangou but the army was alerted and, after an exchange of fire, 26 people were arrested on 28 April, the defence ministry said in a statement.

One of the "suspected terrorists" died later from gunshot wounds.

READ | Niger president to be sworn in after 'attempted coup'

As they were awaiting transfer to nearby Chinegodar, where there is a military base "the prisoners tried to escape" overnight on Thursday and managed to disarm a guard, the ministry said.

"After ignoring warning shots, 24 prisoners were fatally wounded and one of them was able to escape," it said, adding that an inquiry had been launched.

Chinegodar and Banibangou are in the Tillaberi region which is on the borders of both Mali and Burkina Faso. It is regularly attacked by jihadist groups affiliated to al-Qaeda or Islamic State.

On 15 March, suspected jihadists killed 66 people when they attacked a bus carrying shoppers from the Banibangou, and then raided the village of Darey-Daye.

On 2 January, 100 people were killed in attacks on two villages in the Mangaize district of Tillaberi.

The massacre, one of the worst in Niger's history, occurred between two rounds of the country's presidential election.

A year earlier, on 9 January 2020, the Niger army lost 89 men in an attack on the military camp in Chinegodar, one month after 71 troops died in an attack at Inates.

Did you know you can comment on this article? Subscribe to News24 and add your voice to the conversation.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
As South Africa faces down the third Covid-19 wave, how are you keeping your family safe ?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Staying at home, isolating and being careful
18% - 315 votes
Sanitising and wearing masks when we go out
69% - 1218 votes
Going on as usual, we're not afraid of the virus
13% - 225 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.12
+0.0%
Rand - Pound
19.91
-0.3%
Rand - Euro
17.15
-0.7%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.99
-0.8%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.2%
Gold
1,843.26
+0.9%
Silver
27.41
+1.2%
Palladium
2,894.50
+1.0%
Platinum
1,229.50
+1.6%
Brent Crude
67.05
-3.3%
Top 40
60,573
+0.6%
All Share
66,598
+0.7%
Resource 10
69,386
-0.1%
Industrial 25
83,277
+0.9%
Financial 15
12,685
+1.5%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo