Son of Angola's former leader dos Santos accused of fraud

Jose Eduardo Dos Santos (File: AFP)
Jose Eduardo Dos Santos (File: AFP)

The son of Angola's former leader has been accused of embezzlement and fraud and prevented from leaving the oil-rich southern African nation, a new report said on Monday.

Jose Filomeno dos Santos has been accused along with the former governor of the National Bank of Angola, Valter Filipe, over an "irregular" transfer of $500m to a British bank, the Portuguese news agency Lusa reported.

The report cited Angola's deputy attorney general, Luis Benza Zanga. The new Lusa report did not name the British bank but said Britain's National Crime Agency was returning the $500m and investigating the transfer.

Dos Santos had been appointed the board chairperson of Angola's sovereign wealth fund while his father, Jose Eduardo dos Santos, was president. Jose Eduardo dos Santos left office last year after nearly 38 years in power.

Since winning election in August, new leader Joao Lourenco has removed Jose Filomeno dos Santos from that post and fired dos Santos' daughter - said to be Africa's richest woman - as chair of the powerful state-owned oil company.

Lourenco, Angola's former defence minister, also quickly appointed a crop of new ministers to differentiate himself from dos Santos and replaced key security personnel while vowing to tackle the corruption that has long hurt Africa's second-largest oil producer. Almost two-thirds of the country's 29 million people live in poverty on less than $2 a day.

The latest Corruption Perceptions Index by Transparency International ranks Angola 167th among 180 countries.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news from around the continent by subscribing to our FREE newsletter, Hello Africa.

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook. 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
As South Africa faces down the third Covid-19 wave, how are you keeping your family safe ?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Staying at home, isolating and being careful
4% - 1454 votes
Sanitising and wearing masks when we go out
14% - 5687 votes
Going on as usual, we're not afraid of the virus
83% - 33929 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.01
+0.6%
Rand - Pound
19.87
+0.3%
Rand - Euro
17.12
+0.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.91
+0.4%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.4%
Gold
1,869.91
+0.2%
Silver
28.19
+0.0%
Palladium
2,907.50
+0.2%
Platinum
1,222.00
-1.8%
Brent Crude
69.46
+1.1%
Top 40
61,190
-0.0%
All Share
67,255
+0.1%
Resource 10
70,784
+0.2%
Industrial 25
83,774
-0.3%
Financial 15
12,689
+0.6%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo