South Sudan wants to extend president's term until 2021

accreditation
Salva Kiir (File: AFP)
Salva Kiir (File: AFP)

South Sudan's government has proposed extending President Salva Kiir's term in office for another three years, which the armed opposition calls illegal as the two sides pursue a peace deal to end a five-year civil war.

Lawmaker Atem Garang said parliament has up to one month to approve the extension of Kiir's term until 2021, which is virtually guaranteed as the ruling party holds a majority of seats.

"If they don't extend it there will be anarchy and war. You'll have a country without a government," Garang told The Associated Press.

But opposition spokesperson Lam Paul Gabriel called the proposal "definitely illegal" and "anti-peace" as the warring sides pursue a peace agreement. Kiir and former deputy-turned-rival Riek Machar met face-to-face for the first time in nearly two years in recent days in neighbouring Ethiopia and Sudan, with further discussions expected in Kenya.

A "permanent" cease-fire the rivals agreed on last week was violated within hours on Saturday, with each side blaming the other. They have not yet agreed on any power-sharing deal.

South Sudan's civil war has killed tens of thousands and created Africa's largest refugee crisis since the 1994 Rwandan genocide. Millions are near famine and aid delivery is often blocked in one of the world's most dangerous countries for humanitarian workers.

Both sides have been accused of abuses including gang-rapes, sometimes along ethnic lines.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER 

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Who do you think was to blame for the opening lap crash at the Silverstone Grand Prix?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Lewis Hamilton
61% - 3659 votes
Max Verstappen
6% - 378 votes
Neither, it was a racing incident
33% - 1946 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.85
-0.0%
Rand - Pound
20.42
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
17.48
-0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.94
-0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.0%
Gold
1,802.28
0.0%
Silver
25.18
0.0%
Palladium
2,675.50
0.0%
Platinum
1,064.50
0.0%
Brent Crude
74.10
+0.4%
Top 40
61,933
+1.0%
All Share
68,064
+1.0%
Resource 10
66,904
+1.5%
Industrial 25
89,442
+0.7%
Financial 15
12,820
+1.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE