Zuma slams 'senseless' killing of Lesotho's chief of defence force

accreditation
Jacob Zuma (Picture: AFP)
Jacob Zuma (Picture: AFP)

Cape Town – President Jacob Zuma has condemned the killing of Lesotho's army commander Lieutenant General Khoantle Motsomotso, the Department of International Relations and Co-oprtation said in a statement on Tuesday.  

"On behalf of SADC, President Zuma condemns in the strongest terms possible the senseless and regrettable killing of Genenal Motsomotso, especially because his killing happens two years after the killing of former Lesotho Defence Force Commander, Brigadier Maaparankoe Mahao in June 2015, thus creating a dangerous pattern in the Kingdom of Lesotho.

"This unfortunate incident happens so soon after the Kingdom of Lesotho had conducted peaceful and democratic elections which SADC had thought they were to bring political normalcy and stability in the country," said the statement.

Motsomotso was shot dead by rival officers at a military barracks on Tuesday, in an apparent assassination set to revive instability in the mountainous African kingdom.

"The commander (Motsomotso) has been declared dead," a military official who declined to be named was quoted as saying, adding that two senior officers behind the attack had also been killed in the shoot-out.

New coalition government 

The military official said the two senior officers were denied access to Motsomotso's office by army guards.

"They attempted to forcefully enter, there was a shoot-out between the two, their companion who has since fled, and the commander's bodyguards," he said.

Meanwhile, President Zuma has called for absolute calm and restraint. He also extended "his deepest condolences to the family of the deceased, the government and the people of the Kingdom of Lesotho".

A new coalition government took office in Lesotho in June under Prime Minister Thomas Thabane, who vowed to bring peace to the country that has been rocked by a series of political upheavals.

Thabane, 78, previously served as premier after the 2012 elections but was forced to flee to South Africa following an attempted military coup two years later.

In August 2014, soldiers led by sacked army chief General Tlali Kamoli seized control of police headquarters after Thabane had suspended parliament to avoid a no-confidence vote.

Thabane's All Basotho Convention (ABC) party won snap elections on June 3 but failed to get an outright majority, leading it to negotiate joint rule with three other parties.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, I believed it was authentic
7% - 225 votes
Yes, I didn't want to spend that much money on the original item
20% - 668 votes
No, I always shop at reputable stores
14% - 465 votes
No, I don't wear designer clothing
60% - 2009 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.92
-1.1%
Rand - Pound
20.40
+0.2%
Rand - Euro
17.48
+0.3%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.83
+0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.2%
Gold
1,750.56
0.0%
Silver
22.43
0.0%
Palladium
1,974.50
0.0%
Platinum
987.00
0.0%
Brent Crude
78.09
+1.1%
Top 40
57,643
0.0%
All Share
64,049
0.0%
Resource 10
57,254
0.0%
Industrial 25
82,879
0.0%
Financial 15
14,316
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE