Sarah Baartman District Municipality Executive Mayor, Deon de Vos, congratulated the matric class of 2022 for their achievement after it was reported that the matric pass rate for the district was 75.5% - almost on par with the provincial pass rate of 77.3%.
The executive mayor was elated when he received news that 75.5% of the district’s matriculants have been successful.
De Vos said, “As a parent of a matric learner I fully understand the stress and anxiety that the matric year causes for everyone involved including the learners, teachers, administrative staff and parents.”
“I am proud of all the learners who managed to be successful in achieving their matric. It is not an easy feat, but you have done well. Don’t let matric be the end, always strive to improve yourself whether through tertiary studies, short courses, learnerships, apprenticeships, or even starting your own business. Please make use of services that are available to you.”
The mayor also wishes to congratulate the following schools on achieving a 100% pass rate:
- El Shaddai Christian Academy in Port Alfred
- Gcinibuzwe Combined School in Jansenville
- Gill College in Somerset East
- Hendrik Kanise Combined School in Alicedale
- Jansenville High School in Jansenville
- Kirkwood High School in Kirkwood
- Kuyasa Combined School in Port Alfred
- Victorial Girls High School in Makhanda
There were several schools in the district which managed to improve their pass rate over the last year, with the following schools showing the highest pass rate increase in the district:
- Ukhanyo Secondary School increased with 34.6%, from 55.1% in 2021 to 89.7% in 2022
- Nqweba Senior Secondary School increased with 30.6%, from 52.3% in 2021 to 82.9% in 2022
- Patensie Secondary School increased with 25.9%, from 42.9% in 2021 to 68.8% in 2022
De Vos said the schools’ achievement must be a reminder that anything is possible with a little hard work and dedication.
He commended the staff and learners of all the schools who managed to increase their pass rate.
Unfortunately, several schools have regressed this year with the following schools showing the highest pass rate decrease in the district:
- Klipplaat Senior Secondary School decreased by 50.3%, from 94.1% in 2021 to 43.8% in 2022.
- Carel Du Toit Senior Secondary School decreased by 29%, from 74.3% in 2021 to 45.3% in 2022.
- Jbay Academy High School decreased by 25.3%, from 92.9% in 2021 to 67.6% in 2022.
“I want to encourage all these schools to reinvigorate themselves for this new academic year and work to improve these results. For the learners who were unsuccessful, please do not become despondent. Matric is only one year of your life and you still have many years to make the best of your life. Please engage with the Department of Education to find opportunities for you to improve your results,” said De Vos.