Ten people were injured when a minibus-taxi they were travelling in rolled on Nelson Mandela Boulevard in Walmer Estate this morning (Thursday 18 August).
Emergency services and local authorities arrived on the scene at 12:34 to find the minibus-taxi on its side on top of the centre barriers.
Russel Meiring, Communications Officer of ER24, says three people were found inside the minibus-taxi, while several others were seated near the vehicle.
“Rescue services began to extricate the three patients from the taxi while medics tended to the patients. On assessment, medics found that two patients had sustained serious injuries while eight others had minor to moderate injuries,” says Meiring.
No fatalities were found on the scene.
Medics treated the patients and provided the two seriously injured with pain-relief medication before they were transported to nearby hospitals for further care.
At 13:15, Kevin Jacobs of Cape Town Traffic Services reported that Nelson Mandela Boulevard outbound had been closed. The right lane on Nelson Mandela Boulevard inbound had also been closed. The roadways were again reopened shortly after 14:00.
Meiring says the exact details surrounding the accident are still unknown.“Local authorities were on the scene for further investigations,” he said.