Teaser: SPONSORED: Putting together a snack-sational spread for your next mezze platter? It’s all about combining a range of textures and flavours.
From sweet to savoury, fresh to all-time faves, SPAR Freshline has all your favourite treats – perfect for your next snack platter.
Give your Greek mezze platter a delicious Mexican twist by adding SPAR Freshline Spicy Guacamole (it makes everything taste better!) and tortilla chips. We’ve even got a handy SPAR shortcut for making succulent lamb kebabs: just thread a pack of SPAR Freshline Mediterranean Vegetables between cubes of SPAR Select Lamb. Then, add Kalamata olives, plump cherry tomatoes and feta to your platter – and you’ve got yourself a masterful mezze creation.
There won’t be any ‘snacksidents’ on our watch!
Grilled lamb kebabs
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Marinating time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Wooden kebab sticks
- 500g SPAR Select Lamb Cubes
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3T SPAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 330g SPAR Freshline Baby Marrows, cut into chunks
- 2 SPAR Freshline Red Peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 SPAR Freshline Red Onion, cut in half then into chunky petals
- 4 sprigs fresh mint, leaves removed and finely chopped (keep 1 sprig for garnishing)
- Lemon wedges, to taste
- SPAR Freshline herbs of your choice, for garnishing
- SPAR Bakery Black Pepper and Basil Wraps, toasted in a pan
- Handful SPAR Freshline Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- SPAR South African Plain Feta Cheese, cubed
- SPAR Natural Kalamata Olives
- Tortilla chips
- SPAR Freshline Red Seedless Grapes (optional)
- SPAR Freshline Strawberries (optional)
- 200g SPAR Freshline Spicy Guacamole
1) In a mixing bowl, gently combine the lamb cubes, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper and olive oil. Set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes or preferably overnight.
2) Using kebab skewers that have been soaked in water for 10 minutes, skewer a lamb cube, then add a piece of baby marrow, red pepper and onion. Repeat this sequence until your kebab is complete. TIP: Not in the mood to chop vegetables? Buy a 300g pack SPAR Freshline Mediterranean Veg Selection and thread the already chopped veggies in same sequence as mentioned above. Pre-cook the harder vegetables, like butternut, until almost done before you thread them on the kebab. 3) Heat a griddle pan over high heat. Char and cook your kebabs, turning every few minutes, until done. Remove your kebabs from the pan, add a squeeze of lemon juice (to taste) and sprinkle with the chopped mint leaves.
5) To serve, arrange the kebabs on a platter with the fresh herbs, toasted wraps, cherry tomatoes, feta, olives, tortilla chips, grapes and strawberries (if using). Spoon the guacamole into a small bowl and add to your mezze platter.
Time to tuck in and enjoy!