SPONSORED: Tasty and oh-so-tender - Nothing beats a succulent roast chicken for Sunday lunch. With the help of SPAR Freshline, it's easier than ever to whip up a feast for your loved ones.
Vegetables that come in perfect serving-size packs make it so much easier and quicker to prepare side dishes like this warm sweet potato and mushroom salad.
BBQ and mustard seed chicken with warm sweet potato and mushroom salad
- 1 SPAR Tender and Tasty Chicken Spatchcock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) SPAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 600 g (2 packets) SPAR Freshline Sweet Potato & Garlic Herb Butter
- 400 g SPAR Freshline Mushrooms, halved
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) SPAR Tender and Tasty Barbecue & Mustard Seed Braai Sauce
- 2 SPAR Freshline Ripe-and-Ready Avocados, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 3 SPAR Freshline Spring Onions, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) SPAR Freshline Parsley, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 40 g (2 handfuls) wild rocket
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Rub the chicken with salt, pepper and olive oil, and place it on a grid in a large, shallow oven-proof roasting pan. Pour 1/2 cup water into the bottom of the pan and roast for 45 minutes.
2. Steam the sweet potato by piercing the bags and microwaving it on full power for 3 minutes. Allow to stand for 2 minutes.
3. Take the roasting pan out of the oven and add the steamed sweet potato and the lovely butter, as well as the halved mushrooms. Baste the chicken with the braai sauce. Return the pan to the oven and cook for another 10–15 minutes, until the chicken is sticky and cooked through and the veggies are tender.
4. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate. Combine the sweet potato and mushroom mix with the cubed avocado, sprinkle with spring onion and parsley, and drizzle with lime juice. Mix with the rocket just before serving. Serve the sticky chicken and the salad warm.
Recipe and styling: Johané Neilson.
Photograph: Ed O’Riley
Thanks to SPAR Select’s advanced skinpack wrapping for fresh chicken, the meat stays fresh for longer and there is less plastic waste. Vegetables that come in perfect serving-size packs make it so much easier and quicker to prepare side dishes like this warm sweet potato and mushroom salad.