SPAR’s range of Christmas products makes festive catering a breeze.
With the help of SPAR’s Christmas range, preparing a festive feast is easier than you think. Here are three recipes – two mains and a fun dessert – that deliver on taste without being too complicated.
Leg Of Lamb With Mint Pesto
Rule the roast this festive season with the fantastic selection of festive favourites at your SPAR. Cooked simply with herbs and garlic, this slow-roasted centrepiece is the star of the show when served with lashings of gravy and mint pesto for a fresh touch.
Serves 6–8 | Preparation: 20 minutes|Cooking time: 4–5 hours | Oven temperature: 150°C
- 2.5 kg SPAR Select Fresh Lamb Leg, Bone-In
- 30 ml SPAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs of SPAR Freshline Rosemary, roughly chopped
- 45 ml Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 SPAR Freshline Onions, sliced in 1cm-thick rounds
- Meat stock
- 30 ml cornflour
- Steamed peas and roasted SPAR Freshline Potatoes, to serve
- 250ml SPAR Freshline Mint
- 250ml SPAR Freshline Basil
- 100g cashews roasted and salted, roughly chopped
- 125ml grated Parmesan
- SPAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lemon juice and chopped red chilli to taste
1. Preheat the oven. Score the fat cap on the meat and rub the roast all over with the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Arrange in a roasting pan, resting on the onion slices. Add about 300 ml water to the pan, cover tightly with a lid and roast slowly for 4–5 hours or until melt-in-the-mouth tender.
2. To make the pesto, roughly chop the herbs, then mix with the cashews and cheese. Drizzle with just enough oil to get the blade moving and pulse with a stick blender until a coarse paste forms. Adjust the seasoning (you can add a squeeze of lemon juice and chilli to taste, along with salt and pepper), spoon into a pretty bowl and finish with another drizzle of oil.
3. When the roast is ready, strain the pan juices into a measuring jug. Spoon off the excess fat and top up with stock, if necessary, to make 500 ml. Mix 30 ml cornflour with 15–30 ml water to form a slurry, add it to the pan juices in a small pot and cook, whisking from time to time, until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you want, brown the meat quickly under the grill to make sure it is crispy and golden before serving with the gravy, mint pesto, roast potatoes and peas.
Christmas Ham With Orange Glaze And Stuffed Onions
An oldie but a goodie! This traditional glazed gammon with stuffed onions is a winning recipe fit for royalty.
Serves 6–8 | Oven temperature: 180°C
- 1 SPAR Tender & Tasty Gammon Shoulder Bone-In
- 2 SPAR Freshline Onions, peeled and halved
- 4 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 x 330 ml bottles cider
- Handful of whole cloves
- 2 x 250 g SPAR Honey
- 60 ml SPAR Wholegrain Mustard
- 500 ml SPAR Orange Juice
- 8 SPAR Freshline Onions Peeled
- 2 SPAR Freshline garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200 g SPAR Tender & Tasty Bacon & Cheese Wors
- 3 sprigs SPAR Freshline Thyme, finely chopped
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g (110 ml) butter, melted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful SPAR Freshline Italian Parsley, finely chopped
1. Place ham in a large pot. Add the onions, bay leaves, peppercorns and cider. Cover the ham with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for 30 minutes per 500 g, minus 30 minutes for roasting. Carefully remove the ham from the water and remove the skin while it’s still warm, revealing the fat layer underneath. Place in a roasting pan and using a sharp knife, score the fat in a diamond pattern. Push a clove into each diamond. (You can do this the day before you’re going to serve the ham.)
2. For the glaze, preheat the oven. In a medium-size saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil. Simmer for 1 minute, then pour all of it over the ham. Put the ham in the oven and roast for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Spoon the glaze in the roasting pan over the ham every 10 minutes.
1. For the onions, bring a large pot with water to a boil, add the onions and cook for 8 minutes. Drain and set aside until cool. Trim the tops and bottoms of the onions. Leaving about three layers on the outside (for the shell), remove the centre of each onion with a teaspoon. In a food processor, add the onion centres, garlic, wors, thyme and half of the breadcrumbs and blend. Add the butter, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Arrange the onion shells on a roasting pan and fill each with the onion and wors mixture. Combine the remaining breadcrumbs with the parsley and spoon over the stuffed onions. Bake in the hot oven for 30 minutes and serve warm with the glazed ham.
Christmas Ice Cream Sandwiches
You could simply serve this ice cream with chocolate sauce, but why be ordinary when you could show off?! And your inner child will love these ice cream sandwiches.
- 2 litres SPAR Classic Vanilla Flavoured Ice Cream
- Grated zest of 2 SPAR Freshline lemons
- 100 g SPAR Freshline Blueberries
- 350 g SPAR Bakery Christmas Fruit Cake Slab, crumbled
- 600 g SPAR Bakery Assorted Festive Cookies
- SPAR Icing Sugar for dusting
1. Place the ice cream in a large mixing bowl and stir to soften, but do not allow it to melt. Add the lemon zest, blueberries and crumbled fruit cake and mix. Return to the ice cream container and freeze for 2 hours.
2. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the ice cream into balls. Place a ball of ice cream between 2 cookies and press to flatten slightly. Repeat with the rest of the ice cream and cookies.
3. Place the sandwiches on a serving plate and dust with icing sugar. Serve.