SPONSORED: If you’re looking for hiking boots that are feather-light but still tough enough for the veld, then the Merrell Erie Mid Hiking Boots are perfect for you. go! put these boots to the test during a three-day hike in the Robertson area.
If you’re serious about hiking, invest in a quality pair of hiking boots that are specifically designed for the challenging terrain you come across in the veld. They must be waterproof, keep the rocks out of your shoes, protect your ankles, and their soles should have proper grip when walking up- or downhill. Merrell’s new Erie boots are from their Performance range, and they tick all these boxes.
go! tested them out during a three-day hike in the Robertson area, walking 17 km, 15 km and 12 km, respectively, on varying terrains.
- They’re feather-light. Really! Many people don’t want to walk with hiking boots because they think of these leather boots as too heavy. But these boots are significantly lighter than those of Merrell’s competitors, and wearing them won’t feel much different from donning a pair of takkies.
- The sole’s aggressive pattern provides good grip on steep up- and downhills. This characteristic is very important to me because in the past, I’ve been badly injured after slipping on downhills. The boot’s collar is also high enough to protect your ankles.
- The Erie is waterproof. It didn’t rain during this hike, but I walked through water and mud with them and didn’t have any issues. In fact, the suede upper wasn’t stained by the mud. It was clean as soon as the boots dried.
- The toe box is large enough so that your toes have enough wiggle room and aren’t too cramped when you walk downhill. I didn’t get any blisters on my toes.
- The shoe’s collar and tongue didn’t cause any chafe.
- The midsole contains soft foam that conforms to the shape of your foot and is super comfortable.
- The boots didn’t take long to break in. I wore them for less than 50 km before I went on the hike, and I had no issues. They feel like boots you’ve worn for hundreds of kilometres.
- It has a cool retro appearance. Many hikers prefer the brown leather look for their hiking boots, but they’re also available in black.
Order yours here.