Three family members died, while two minors were admitted to hospital after a fire gutted a house in Tsomo.
Police spokesperson captain Lariane Jonker said the house had electricity problems and the family used a gas stove to cook.
"It is alleged that there was an electrical wiring fault at the mentioned homestead and while cooking inside with gas, an explosion occurred which lead to the death of the family members," she said.
Cofimvaba and Tsomo Women's Network visited the family.
"A family in need was visited after a fire took the lives of three adult females and also injured two children who are currently still in hospital," Jonker said.
A message of hope and empathy was brought to the Qwane family, said Jonker.
"The Acting Chris Hani District Commissioner, Brigadier Mabel Magqashela applauded the move and gestures initiated by the two Station Commanders, Lieutanant Colonel Nqaphi and Lieutanant Colonel Ndunge as the SAPS also care to improve it's image towards the community we serve," she said.