THIS Sunday, April 15 will see one of the biggest sporting competitions in the world and Nelson Mandela Bay will be the proud host of the Standard Bank IRONMAN African Championship once again.
Apart from the main event on Sunday, two other events, namely, the Isuzu Corporate Triathlon Challenge and Spur IRONKIDS will take place on Saturday, April 14. The day will start with a 3.8km swim course beginning at Hobie Beach, whereafter athletes will head out parallel from the pier, turning left after 300 metres. The course then goes past Humewood Beach all the way to Kings Beach before turning and heading back towards Hobie Beach.The bike course takes athletes out on two flat, fast laps of 90km on one of the most spectacular bike courses on the IRONMAN circuit.
The route takes athletes along the coast at Marine Drive, delivering sweeping views of the ocean and the rugged coastline before moving slightly inland at Seaview on an undulating scenic countryside section. Athletes return along the coast to the transition area to start the run.
Nelson Mandela Bay will also host the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in September. In preparation of this event, Heugh Road was recently upgraded.
Member of the Mayoral Committee for Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture Councillor Siyasanga Sijadu said the successful hosting of both the Standard Bank IRONMAN African Championship this weekend and the event on September 1 and 2 would emphasise the municipality’s ability to host world-class events with distinction. At the time of going to print on Monday, Garth Sampson from the PE branch of the South African Weather Service predicted that the weekend’s weather would be generally cloudy with showers. Saturday’s showers are expected in the afternoon and Sunday will be cloudy and cool with some light showers. Winds on both days will be generally fresh easterly.
The following road closures will be in effect:
Full road closures on Saturday from 18:00 to Sunday midnight:
- 2nd Avenue from Brighton Drive to Marine Drive
Full road closures on Sunday from 05:00 to midnight:
- Marine Drive from Lodge Road to Summerstrand Hotel
- Admiralty Way from Marine Drive to University Way
There will also be a controlled crossover point at Brighton Drive/Admiralty Crescent.
Partial road closure from 05:00 to midnight:
- Marine Drive from Walmer Boulevard to La Roche Drive
Full road closures from 05:00 to 17:00:
- Marine Drive from Summerstrand Hotel to Schoenmakerskop.
From 17:00, access into Summerstrand/City will be via the NMU back gate.
- Victoria Drive from Schoenmakerskop to Glendore Road intersection
- Sardinia Bay Road
- Heron Road
- Seaview Road from Heron Road to Van Reenen Road, Seaview
- Elizabeth Road/M9/Beachview Divisional Road from Seaview Road to Beachview Drive, Beachview, Maitlands area.
Radio-controlled access to the following points during road closures:
- To and from Pine Lodge only via the NMU back gate on Marine Drive.
Concessions/Convoys – as below only: Up to 07:15:
- Vehicles may leave from Noordhoek/Willows/Schoenmakerskop, driving towards Victoria Drive only to exit.
- NMBM Traffic-controlled convoy departs from Willows, picking up vehicles in Schoenmakerskop, exiting on Victoria Drive.