Alleged genital mutilator's bail application postponed again

Peter Frederiksen (Jeanette Chabalala, News24)
Peter Frederiksen (Jeanette Chabalala, News24)

Bloemfontein – The bail application of alleged genital mutilator, Danish national Peter Frederiksen, was postponed yet again in the Bloemfontein Regional Court on Monday.

Magistrate Marlene Marais postponed the application without giving a date.

She said the defence failed to submit Frederiksen’s financial papers, indicating he had enough money to pay bail.

The papers were expected to be submitted to the State on August 12.

“The reason why the court asked for these documents is that there were no independent documents to prove that there were funds. If these were provided, I would be giving judgment today,” she said.

Trial

Frederiksen is expected to appear again in the High Court in Bloemfontein for his pre-trial conference on September 23.

The State said its investigations were complete and the trial was expected to take eight weeks.

He is facing 59 charges, including assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, possessing unregistered medicine, possessing unlicensed firearms, distributing and possessing child pornography, conspiracy to murder, and bigamy.

He was arrested on September 17, 2015, after 21 clitorises were found in the freezer of his Langenhoven Park, Bloemfontein home.

He is also being investigated for the murder of his wife, 28-year-old Anna Matseliso Molise. She was shot four times next to the gate of her house in Maseru, Lesotho, on October 20, 2015.

She would have been a key State witness in the case against her husband, the Hawks said at the time.

Criminal underworld

During previous court appearances, the State said Frederiksen allegedly hired wheelchair-bound Motlatsi Moqeti, 31, to have Molise killed.

He allegedly had contacts in the criminal underworld. Frederiksen told the court previously that he learnt of his wife's death through the media.

The State told the court that a witness and phone calls linked Moqeti to the killing. However, on June 12, the State withdrew charges against Moqeti.

In May, the Hawks seized more than 1 600 firearms from Frederiksen's gun shop in Bloemfontein.

According to a police spokesperson, the firearms were confiscated on suspicion that Frederiksen might have used them for other crimes. About 75 firearms had no valid licences.

Explosives and hand grenades were also confiscated.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
When a Covid-19 vaccine for under 16's becomes available, will you be taking your children to get it?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, immediately!
38% - 3769 votes
I'll wait to see how others respond
26% - 2555 votes
No, I don't think they need it
37% - 3651 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
15.30
(-0.23)
ZAR/GBP
21.27
(-0.21)
ZAR/EUR
18.31
(-0.12)
ZAR/AUD
11.80
(-0.12)
ZAR/JPY
0.14
(-0.12)
Gold
1692.10
(-0.10)
Silver
25.19
(-0.35)
Platinum
1118.00
(+0.13)
Brent Crude
67.21
(+4.17)
Palladium
2336.12
(+0.97)
All Share
67743.54
(-0.85)
Top 40
62250.03
(-0.97)
Financial 15
12674.59
(+0.82)
Industrial 25
87893.58
(-1.99)
Resource 10
69166.37
(-0.09)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo