The ANC in KwaZulu-Natal is planning to hold talks with Police Minister Bheki Cele for an update on security measures for local whistleblower Thabiso Zulu.
This was revealed on Monday by the party’s spokesperson, Ricardo Mthembu, in response to The Witness’ questions about Zulu’s safety.
Zulu, who is currently in hiding, survived an assassination attempt in Copesville on Saturday.
He has publicly blamed the state for failing to provide him with security even though his life was under threat.
“What we have been told is that the police ministry had already put in place temporary security measures to ensure Zulu’s safety. In our engagement with the Police minister, will also find out why Zulu was attacked despite the security measures put in place,” said Mthembu.
He said the ANC was deeply concerned about the attack on Zulu, who is also a key witness in the ongoing court matter of the 2017 murder of former ANCYL leader Sindiso Magaqa in uMzimkhulu.
“We are of the view that witnesses should receive protection. Our concern is that this attack can be used to intimidate other witnesses who want to assist in the solving of criminal cases in the province,” said Mthembu.
Cele’s spokesperson, Lirandzu Themba, said the political task team would not be taking over the investigation of Zulu’s attempted murder at this stage.
IFP national chairperson Blessed Gwala said more needed to be done to protect whistleblowers who risked their lives to expose wrongdoings. He said not protecting them from attacks would discourage others from lifting the lid on corruption.