ANC suspends Eastern Cape councillor accused of killing two fellow party members

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
ANC member Lucky Mbuzi faces two murder charges.
ANC member Lucky Mbuzi faces two murder charges.
Swiegers/Bloomberg
  • An ANC member accused of killing two comrades has been stripped of his membership.
  • Lucky Mbuzi faces two murder charges for the death of two ANC activists.
  • The accused is a councillor in the Winnie Madikizela-Mandela Municipality.

An ANC ward councillor accused of killing two of his comrades has been stripped of his party membership and may lose his position in the Winnie Madikizela-Mandela Municipality.

Lucky Mbuzi faces two murder charges, for the death of ANC activists Mduduzi Madikizela and Hleliphi Thotshe in separate incidences in Jali Village in the Eastern Cape.

READ | Eastern Cape ANC ward councillor in court for allegedly killing 2 party members

Mbuzi is a councillor in the Winnie Madikizela-Mandela Municipality.

Mbuzi, Luthando Manyana and Simbongile Mjuleka initially appeared in the Mbizana Magistrate's Court in connection with the murder of Madikizela.

Madikizela was planning on standing against Mbuzi for a council position later this year.

When the accused appeared in court on Wednesday, a charge of murder, conspiracy to commit murder and unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition were added against Mbuzi and Mjuleka, in connection with the murder of Thotshe.

Thotshe was killed on 10 March.  

ANC provincial secretary Lulama Ngcukayitobi said he had visited the families of the victims last week, as well as ANC members in the ward.

"Truth be told, we are so hurt by the incident - both the assassinated are ANC members," he said.

The party has taken a hard line on the accused, Ngcukayitobi added.

"We immediately suspended [Mbuzi's] membership and further instructed the council to remove him from being our representative. Our hope and sincere request is that justice must proceed and take appropriate action against those found guilty."

Mbuzi, Manyana and Mjuleka are expected back in court on 13 May for a formal bail application.

Do you want to know more about this topic? Sign up for one of News24's 33 newsletters to receive the information you want in your inbox. Special newsletters are available to subscribers.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
The 2021 Matric exams have been brought forward to avoid clashing with elections. This is:
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
A disaster - kids are stressed enough
45% - 540 votes
Not the best idea, but necessary
15% - 180 votes
No big deal, it's just a few days
40% - 477 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.77
-1.2%
Rand - Pound
20.28
-0.7%
Rand - Euro
17.32
-0.8%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.73
-0.7%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.9%
Gold
1,753.86
+0.0%
Silver
22.39
-2.2%
Palladium
2,016.17
-0.8%
Platinum
943.00
+0.8%
Brent Crude
75.67
+0.3%
Top 40
56,605
-0.9%
All Share
62,864
-0.7%
Resource 10
56,497
-3.9%
Industrial 25
81,170
+1.0%
Financial 15
14,018
+0.5%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE