ANC worried about rape allegation against Zizi Kodwa

accreditation
Zizi Kodwa (File, Netwerk24)
Zizi Kodwa (File, Netwerk24)

The ANC has not made any decisions regarding rape claims levelled against its head of presidency Zizi Kodwa, who remains in office.

The party confirmed on Sunday that it was worried about the claims, but said the matter was yet to be discussed by its structures.

On Saturday ANC deputy secretary general Jessie Duarte confirmed to journalists that a rape complaint had been sent to the party in a letter against a high-ranking party member.

News24 opted not to name Kodwa until he had been given an opportunity to respond to the allegation, which he did publicly on Sunday.

READ: 'It's a dirty tricks campaign' – Kodwa denies 'grotesque' allegation

Duarte said the party advised the complainant that she needed to go to the criminal justice system with her complaint.

"These particular allegations are very serious because it’s the antithesis of what we stand for as the ANC," said another ANC acting spokesperson Dakota Legoete.

He was responding to questions from journalists during a media briefing at the party’s headquarters.

"So far the victim came to present her complaint to Luthuli House. She was advised by Luthuli House that we do not have the mandate to investigate (and) we don't have the mandate to prosecute.

"The best (way) for her would be to approach the law enforcement agencies to ensure that this matter is properly processed within the rule of law, properly processed within the ambit of the Constitutional ambit so that her and the accused will be respected,” explained Legoete.

Kodwa himself released a statement labelling the claims a "dirty tricks campaign," vowing to not succumb to blackmail and extortion.

Kodwa also said he would seek legal advice on the matter.

Meanwhile ANC chair of the subcommittee on economic transformation Enoch Gongdogwana called for all parties in the matter to be respected.

"For God’s sake, ANC members like all South Africans are entitled to due process," he said.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Who do you think was to blame for the opening lap crash at the Silverstone Grand Prix?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Lewis Hamilton
61% - 3658 votes
Max Verstappen
6% - 378 votes
Neither, it was a racing incident
33% - 1946 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.85
-0.0%
Rand - Pound
20.42
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
17.48
-0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.94
-0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.0%
Gold
1,802.28
0.0%
Silver
25.18
0.0%
Palladium
2,675.50
0.0%
Platinum
1,064.50
0.0%
Brent Crude
74.10
+0.4%
Top 40
61,933
+1.0%
All Share
68,064
+1.0%
Resource 10
66,904
+1.5%
Industrial 25
89,442
+0.7%
Financial 15
12,820
+1.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE