Western Cape police are investigating a case of murder after a 16-year-old boy was stabbed and killed near Clifton Beach on Saturday night - two months after an 18-year-old UCT student was stabbed there.
"According to information, last night at about 22:45, members of law enforcement saw the victim with a stab wound," spokesperson Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana said in a statement on Sunday.
The teen boy received medical attention but died on the scene due to his injuries.
Circumstances surrounding the stabbing incident were not yet known.
"Police are following up on leads in order to bring the perpetrators to book," Rwexana concluded.
Ward councillor Nicola Jowell said on her Facebook page that the stabbing took place on Victoria Road - the road above all of Clifton's beaches.
This is the same vicinity where 18-year-old UCT student Mhleli Cebo Mbatha was killed in an apparent robbery above Clifton Third Beach in September.
Jowell said a joint operations centre had been put in place to monitor a low risk, annual film event on Saturday. The beach was also visited by a large number of matriculants celebrating the end of exams, she said.
She called for more deployment of police in the Camps Bay beach area going into the festive season. The boy had been treated by medics who were present for the film event.
Former Councillor at the City of Cape Town, Jacques Weber also on Facebook called the incident "unacceptable" and a sign that that the City needs "urgent intervention in terms of policing".
City of Cape Town spokesperson Luthando Tyhalibongo says that Weber's claims on policing in his Facebook post are unfounded.
"The City is saddened by the terrible loss of a young man on Clifton beach. We agree with Jacques Weber that an urgent intervention is required in terms of policing. However, the views on his Facebook post are misconstrued and riddled with inaccuracies. While the City does its best to assist with policing through its Law Enforcement (LE) agencies, policing still remains the responsibility of the South African Police Service (SAPS)," The City's Acting Executive Wayne Le Roux told News24 on Monday.
"His utterances on LE deployment and overtime are ill-informed and untrue, in fact, it is the City’s Law Enforcement Officers who tried to assist the young man on Saturday evening. We encourage witnesses to come forward and share any information with SAPS that will assist in finding the perpetrator/s," Le Roux added.