Bongani Bongo's land sale corruption case postponed to next year

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Bongani Bongo.
Bongani Bongo.
Adrian de Kock
  • The corruption trial against Bongani Bongo and others has been set down for 2022. 
  • Bongo and his co-accused face a total of 69 counts of corruption, fraud, theft, money laundering and contravention of the Public Finance Management Act. 
  • Bongo has been charged alongside his ex-wife and brother. 

Former state security minister Bongani Bongo plans on applying for his corruption case to be struck off the court roll - this, after it was postponed to next year. 

Bongo and his co-accused appeared briefly in the Nelspruit Magistrate's Court on Tuesday. They face a collective 69 counts for corruption, fraud, theft, money laundering and the contravention of the Public Finance Management Act. 

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Sipho Ngwema said although the State wanted the trial set down for August or September, it was postponed to January and February 2022 due to the unavailability of some of the defence team members.

READ | Nafiz Modack in court, his supporters shout 'we love you'

Outside court, Bongo told eNCA that his case was an "abuse of state institutions in favour of those who think they are ruling".

"There is nothing that links me to this alleged crime, nothing whatsoever that links me to this crime that they are saying was committed. We will do representations, after which we will apply that it must be struck off the roll because it appears to that there is no case. I have studied all the court documents and indictments, and there appears to be no case against anyone who is involved," he said.

Bongo, however, provided no evidence for these claims. 

Bongo, his ex-wife Sandile Nkosi, his brother Sipho, as well as Robert Burwise, Patrick Donald Chirwa, Harrington Sizwakhendaba Dhlamini, Blessing Mduduzi Singwane, David Boy Dube, Vusi Willem Magagula, Bongani Louis Henry Sibiya, Elmon Lawrence Mdaka, and Sibongile Mercy Mdaka, were arrested in October last year.

They are charged alongside four companies and are all out on bail. 

Their charges emanate from alleged illegal land deals, including the purchase of a farm, Naauwpoort in Emalahleni, for R37.5 million by the Mpumalanga Department of Human Settlements on behalf of the eMalahleni municipality. 

"It is alleged that some of the accused acted in common concert and with a common purpose, to exploit the normal phenomenon of purchase of land by the government and misrepresented facts to the [Department of Human Settlements] regarding ownership and true sale price of the farm Naauwpoort," said the NPA.

The real owner of the farm is alleged to have been paid only R15 million from the R37.5 million.

Meanwhile, Dhlamini, Singwane and Dube will be back in court on 25 May to apply for their bail conditions to be relaxed. 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
As South Africa faces down the third Covid-19 wave, how are you keeping your family safe ?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Staying at home, isolating and being careful
18% - 317 votes
Sanitising and wearing masks when we go out
69% - 1228 votes
Going on as usual, we're not afraid of the virus
13% - 225 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.12
+0.0%
Rand - Pound
19.91
-0.3%
Rand - Euro
17.15
-0.7%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.99
-0.8%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.2%
Gold
1,843.26
+0.9%
Silver
27.41
+1.2%
Palladium
2,894.50
+1.0%
Platinum
1,229.50
+1.6%
Brent Crude
67.05
-3.3%
Top 40
60,573
+0.6%
All Share
66,598
+0.7%
Resource 10
69,386
-0.1%
Industrial 25
83,277
+0.9%
Financial 15
12,685
+1.5%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo