Ramaphosa calls meeting on Mozambique attacks as families say they were let down

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
President Cyril Ramaphosa. (Photo: Felix Dlangamandla/Gallo Images)
President Cyril Ramaphosa. (Photo: Felix Dlangamandla/Gallo Images)
  • Relatives of South Africans trapped in attacks by jihadist insurgents in northern Mozambique say the government has not been of much help.
  • President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to meet with security cluster heads on Saturday afternoon.
  • One South African has so far been confirmed dead, with a number of expatriates still unaccounted for.

More details have emerged about how expats and villagers were left to fend for themselves for the past three days as Palma, in northern Mozambique, was overrun and besieged by a around 100 jihadist insurgents.

President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to attend an urgent meeting this afternoon about the situation, and News24 understands there is talk about the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) deploying its special forces to help contain the situation.

But for some families this has come too late. One South African woman, who got news on Saturday morning that she had lost her son in an attack on the Amarula Lodge on Friday, said she asked the Department of International Relations and Cooperation on Thursday to help.

"They said they can't go in there because there's too much 'fireworks'," she added.

READ | South African among those killed in violence in northern Mozambique

The woman, who preferred not to be named due to the distress the news could cause to other family members, said her husband and two sons were working as building subcontractors near Palma.

She had been too distressed to sleep or eat since the attacks started on Wednesday, but said she was relieved to hear on Saturday morning that her husband and son, as well as the body of her late son, were evacuated to Pemba about 250km to the south.

They are staying with friends and are expected to return to South Africa within the next few days.

Jayde Alexander, whose father Nicholas was still unaccounted for on Saturday afternoon, said she was told by the department it could only help him once he got himself to safety. 

"This [insurgency] has been going on for four years and there's a heavy South African citizenry in the place. They had all the intel they needed to be prepared," the distressed Alexander added about the South African government's response.

Family members of some of the expats working there have formed a WhatsApp group in a desperate attempt to get information about where their loved ones might be.

Ramaphosa was expected to excuse himself from a crucial ANC national executive committee meeting on Saturday afternoon so that he could have an urgent meeting with Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula and other heads of the security cluster over the situation.

News24 understands that a meeting with Mapisa-Nqakula was scheduled for 14:00, but Presidency spokesperson Tyrone Seale said it did not comment on security matters.

SANDF spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini has not responded to a query on any possible deployment of soldiers to Mozambique, other than acknowledging receipt of the question.

On Friday night, international relations and cooperation department spokesperson Lunga Ngqengelele said he had confirmed the situation "through our mission in Mozambique" and the department was "providing consular services to the distressed South Africans while it continues to monitor the situation".

Details about how many people died in the attack are still sketchy, but there were reports of a number of people missing after insurgents attacked the Amarula Lodge Hotel where expatriates were sheltering.

A picture was posted on Twitter on Friday of someone spelling SOS - an apparent desperate plea for help - on the lawn of the hotel with what appeared to be white stones. 

It is still not clear what the motives are for the attack, which coincided with the resumption on Wednesday of operations of the new Total liquefied natural gas plant at Afungi, near Palma.

Sources said the attack was meticulously planned days in advance and it could have been prevented. 


Did you know you can comment on this article? Subscribe to News24 and add your voice to the conversation.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Are you going to keep wearing a mask following the announcement that it is no longer required under law?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
No ways, I'm done
39% - 4931 votes
Yes, I still want to be cautious
26% - 3204 votes
Only certain circumstances
35% - 4414 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
16.13
-0.2%
Rand - Pound
19.64
-0.1%
Rand - Euro
16.97
-0.2%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.09
+0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.12
-0.1%
Gold
1,819.42
-0.0%
Silver
20.84
-0.1%
Palladium
1,942.50
+3.6%
Platinum
929.50
+2.0%
Brent Crude
117.98
+2.5%
Top 40
61,173
-1.0%
All Share
67,366
-1.0%
Resource 10
65,685
-0.6%
Industrial 25
79,748
-0.9%
Financial 15
15,106
-1.9%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE