Cape gangs 'taking advantage' of reduced alert level as two arrested for double murder - MEC

Members of the South African Police Service during law enforcement operations.
Members of the South African Police Service during law enforcement operations.
ER Lombard
  • Two people have been arrested for a double murder in the Vrygrond area in Cape Town.
  • Cape Town has seen a rise in violent crime since the start of the Level 3 lockdown on 1 June.
  • MEC Albert Fritz has warned gangsters are taking advantage of the reduced alert level by moving around more easily.


Cape gangsters are increasing their violent ways under the new Level 3 Covid-19 lockdown, Western Cape Community Safety MEC Albert Fritz has warned.

This came as the police's Anti-Gang Unit (AGU) warned they had arrested two people for a double murder in Cape Town on Saturday.

Western Cape police said a man, 38, and a woman, 45, were shot at their home in Vuyo Street, Vrygrond, in the Muizenberg area at around noon.

On Sunday, AGU received information, and swooped on a house in Disa Street in nearby Capricorn, which they searched.

Police said there they arrested a 25-year-old male "for the possession of a prohibited firearm and ammunition and double murder. Another suspect, aged 31, was also arrested on the double murder case".

An Uzi pistol with the serial number removed, one magazine and 62 rounds of ammunition were confiscated and booked in as exhibits.

Both of them would appear in the Muizenberg Magistrate's Court once they had been charged.

READ HERE | Seven arrested as cops foil cash-in-transit robbery in Belfast, Mpumalanga

In response, Fritz said: "We have seen a significant number of gang-related incidents in our communities as we moved from alert Level 4 to alert Level 3. I previously condemned this spate of violence and called on SAPS to ensure the speedy arrest of the perpetrators. The arrest of two suspects by the Anti-Gang Unit is a positive sign as it shows that SAPS is addressing this serious issue."

WATCH | Residents scramble for money following cash-in-transit bombing

Fritz warned:"Gangs are taking advantage of the reduced alert level to settle scores and cause havoc in communities. We will not allow this to happen.

"Despite our response to Covid-19, the Western Cape government has not abrogated its commitment to making communities safe. The Western Cape Safety Plan remains committed to halving the murder rate over the next ten years."

His department will continue to work with police, the city's law enforcement service, neighbourhood watches and all other stakeholders to put a stop to the harm caused by gangs, Fritz said.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
How has the delay in schools' opening impacted your life?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It's a disaster! We're struggling to manage work and kids at home
40% - 935 votes
It's a struggle, but we learnt lessons from last year's closures
20% - 457 votes
It's a relief, this second wave is bad and kids need to be at home
41% - 950 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
15.10
(+0.16)
ZAR/GBP
20.71
(+0.00)
ZAR/EUR
18.40
(+0.10)
ZAR/AUD
11.69
(-0.15)
ZAR/JPY
0.15
(+0.11)
Gold
1855.40
(-0.09)
Silver
25.60
(+0.24)
Platinum
1101.00
(+0.14)
Brent Crude
54.99
(0.00)
Palladium
2359.00
(+0.19)
All Share
63987.92
(-0.29)
Top 40
58886.26
(-0.14)
Financial 15
11685.83
(-2.13)
Industrial 25
86576.24
(+1.21)
Resource 10
62699.98
(-1.34)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo