Cape Town musician accused of raping minor released on R1 000 bail

iStock
iStock
  • The musician was released on R1 000 bail in the Blue Downs Magistrate's Court on Monday.
  • The complainant alleged he had been sexually assaulted by the man since 2013, when he was 14 years old.
  • The married father of two, in an affidavit, said he intended to plead not guilty.


A Cape Town musician was released on R1 000 bail in the Blue Downs Magistrate's Court on Monday after spending the weekend behind bars following his arrest on rape and sexual assault charges.

The court ruled he may not be named or photographed until he has pleaded.

Wearing bedroom slippers and holding on to a purple blanket in the dock, the 48-year-old suspect listened intently as the State informed the court the complainant alleged he had been sexually assaulted by the man since 2013, when he was 14 years old.

The man claimed this continued until last year, when he was 19.

The accused, in an affidavit during his unopposed bail application, told the court he intended to plead not guilty to the charges.

He had earlier opposed an application made by the media to photograph him, with his attorney, Enver Titus, questioning whether this was to "humiliate" his client who had already been named in tabloid publications in contravention of the Criminal Procedure Act before he had appeared in court.

The suspect, who is a married father of two from Soneike in Kuils River, was arrested on Friday by detectives attached to the local Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit after the alleged victim laid a charge against him.

READ | Cape Town musician in dock following arrest on rape, sexual assault charges

The accused is a recording artist, producer, composer and director at a Cape Town music institute. He has performed alongside some of Cape Town's biggest names.

He was also until recently an interim official for the Trade Union for Musicians of South Africa (TUMSA).

In a statement on Monday, the union said he had resigned about a week ago citing "personal reasons and he absolutely would not disclose those to us at the time".

It had become aware of his arrest on "very serious charges" on Saturday, it added.

"[The] TUMSA is shocked and numbed by these allegations as they are well out of character for the man we have worked alongside since the founding days of this union to which he made a huge contribution."

It would assume an "innocent until proven guilty" position until the court made its ruling, the union said.

The accused was released on the condition he not contact the alleged victim or any of the State's witnesses.

He may also not enter the suburb of Soneike.

The accused provided an alternative address in Belhar, where he will stay with his in-laws for the duration of the court proceedings.

The case was postponed to 30 October.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said more charges were likely to be added as the investigation continued.  

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Who do you think is going to win the 2020 US election?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Biden is going to take it
46% - 5439 votes
It's four more years for Trump
54% - 6445 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
16.46
(+0.21)
ZAR/GBP
21.33
(+0.24)
ZAR/EUR
19.48
(-0.22)
ZAR/AUD
11.61
(+0.34)
ZAR/JPY
0.16
(+0.28)
Gold
1907.17
(+0.24)
Silver
24.62
(+5.30)
Platinum
872.00
(+2.22)
Brent Crude
42.85
(-0.67)
Palladium
2405.00
(+3.19)
All Share
55271.75
(+0.20)
Top 40
50851.62
(+0.22)
Financial 15
9956.35
(-0.22)
Industrial 25
75567.07
(+1.08)
Resource 10
53788.16
(-0.63)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo