Durban – The killing of four men over the weekend will be investigated by a task team, KwaZulu-Natal acting police commissioner Major General Bhekinkosi Langa said on Tuesday.
Condemning the crime, Langa urged local residents to remain vigilant and continue to supply the police with information.
"Possession of illegal firearms contributes immensely to murder of innocent members of the community and, as a result, the possession thereof by any individual must be reported to the police. A task team has been formed to investigate the murders of four people," he said.
Police spokesperson Lieutenant Nqobile Gwala said three of the victims had been shot during a traditional ceremony in the Ndaba area, Maphumulo, on Saturday.
Two of them had died at the scene. The third died in hospital. The fourth victim, a 30-year-old man, was shot while sleeping in the house where the ceremony was being held, around 04:00 on Sunday. He sustained multiple gunshot wounds.
The motive for the killing was still unknown.
Gwala said the victims were identified as Steven Khumalo, 30, Mthokozisi Khuzwayo, 31, Syanda Khuzwayo, 35, and Phumlani Mpungose, 40.