Cape Town – The cancellation of yet another meeting by the committee in charge of filling vacant posts on the National Youth Development Agency board was slammed in Parliament on Thursday.
Two meetings to shortlist candidates were cancelled this week, meaning the committee will not be able to meet its deadline for the appointment of candidates.
EFF MP Ntombovuyo Mente raised concerns that the meeting was cancelled at the last minute, when MPs were already leaving.
House chairperson Cedric Frolick said they were waiting for a report from the co-chairpersons.
ANC chief whip Jackson Mthembu said he did not understand why the meeting had to be postponed.
They had intervened on one matter, where the process being followed "left much to be desired".
Over 480 applications
The co-chairs had been informed that they needed to follow the same process Parliament was following when making appointments to other public institutions.
"No way they can go for shortlisting without having put all the CVs for scrutiny by the South African public on the Parliament website. They had not done that, they relied on the act of the NYDA."
Over 480 people have applied for the positions on the board.
Once the CVs were on the website, Mthembu said, there should have been no problems with continuing the meeting again this week.
"It was uncalled for. There was no reason to cancel a meeting. They should have had the meeting and said this is what we will now be doing, and this is how we will be correcting the process."
The NYDA ad hoc committee has asked for an extension, Parliament’s programming committee was told on Thursday.