Electricity repairs in Khayelitsha on hold after Eskom vehicle torched in arson attack

Eskom has pulled out of several violent parts of Khayelitsha.
Eskom has pulled out of several violent parts of Khayelitsha.
Getty
  • The driver managed to escape to safety.
  • An Eskom minivan burst into flames in an arson attack.
  • Now Eskom has pulled the plug on electricity repairs in numerous parts of Khayelitsha - until it is safe.

Eskom has pulled out of several violent parts of Khayelitsha – after attacks on its staff.

This comes after a full week of protests and land grabs across the area and other surrounding areas of Cape Town.

Police spokesperson Noloyiso Rwexana told News24 that "cases of public violence and malicious damage to property are under investigation following the protest action in Khayelitsha, where a bus was damaged and [an] Eskom vehicle torched".

Eskom reported it "fears for the safety of staff after two violent incidents occurred involving Eskom vehicles".

"The first vehicle was stoned and set alight by protestors in Khayelitsha. The driver managed to escape unharmed. The second vehicle was stoned in the Bardale area in Mfuleni. The employees managed to escape both incidents unharmed and evacuated the area safely," the power utility reported.

ALSO READ | Eskom to implement load reduction on Saturday afternoon

Alwie Lester, General Manager for Distribution, Western Cape, said of the attack: "Eskom strongly condemns the harassment of its employees, who are simply carrying out their duties. We have taken the decision to withdraw all Eskom services to parts of Khayelitsha and the entire Bardale area in Mfuleni.

"Unfortunately, customer faults will not be attended to until these areas are declared safe for Eskom to return," he said.

The parts of Khayelitsha where services have been withdrawn are:
  • Sections A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; RR, DD, DT and BM
  • Thembani;
  • Khwezi;
  • Bongweni;
  • Site B;
  • Site C;

"Eskom is working closely with the local SAPS and Eskom Security Services to ensure the safety of its staff when working in these areas".

Eskom said it believed the violent attack was linked to local protests and "the recent spike in land invasions".

Rwexana said public order police and other law enforcement agencies were in the area, monitoring the situation. No arrests had been made, but police would remain in the area until the situation was "back to normal".

Eskom made the following public call: "We emphasise our call to the community to support Eskom and report incidents by contacting the Eskom Toll-Free Crime Hotline 0800 11 27 22 or SMS Crime Line on 32211. Callers may remain anonymous".

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
How has the delay in schools' opening impacted your life?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It's a disaster! We're struggling to manage work and kids at home
41% - 2530 votes
It's a struggle, but we learnt lessons from last year's closures
20% - 1196 votes
It's a relief, this second wave is bad and kids need to be at home
39% - 2396 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
15.30
(-0.27)
ZAR/GBP
20.91
(-0.11)
ZAR/EUR
18.49
(-0.00)
ZAR/AUD
11.66
(+0.21)
ZAR/JPY
0.15
(+0.04)
Gold
1838.33
(-0.06)
Silver
25.12
(-0.08)
Platinum
1061.99
(+0.38)
Brent Crude
55.26
(-0.20)
Palladium
2293.56
(+0.57)
All Share
62784.52
(-1.78)
Top 40
57644.44
(-1.83)
Financial 15
11826.39
(+0.74)
Industrial 25
85836.54
(-1.23)
Resource 10
59579.51
(-3.77)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo