Family of missing 8-year-old Port Elizabeth boy convinced body found in field is his

accreditation
8-year-old Recolin Keagan Witbooi was last seen on Saturday at 13:30. (Supplied, SAPS Twitter)
8-year-old Recolin Keagan Witbooi was last seen on Saturday at 13:30. (Supplied, SAPS Twitter)

The family of a missing Port Elizabeth boy is convinced that the decomposed body of a child found on Sunday morning is that of their young child.

Eight-year-old Recolin Keagan Witbooi, from Barcelona in Gelvandale, was last seen on Saturday July 6 at 13:30. He and some friends had been playing in Uranus Street when he went missing.

An inquest docket has been opened by police after a resident noticed a skull while walking in the field. The man then found a human body and called the police, News24 previously reported. 

READ | Two Eastern Cape boys go missing in separate cases, one reunited with his family

Police spokesperson Captain Sandra Janse van Rensburg said the identity of the child could not be determined due to the advanced state of decomposition.

Witbooi's father Clive Domingo, however, told News24 on Monday that the family was convinced that, because the skeleton was found close to where the boy went missing, it was his son's remains.

He added that clothes matching those Witbooi was wearing at the time of his disappearance were also identified in the field.

 

The distraught father went to the scene on Sunday and Monday. 

"We are convinced that it is Recolin. There [are] bones there. We are still waiting for the police for more information," Domingo said. 

He described the experience as "traumatic", adding that everyone in the family was in shock following the discovery of the body. 

"Everybody is in tears here. We are all stressed out, because we also saw clothes that he was wearing when he went missing," he said. 

Speculations

Domingo said residents were still gathered at the field at midday on Monday. 

While the family is convinced that the remains are that of their beloved son, police spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naidu said it was difficult to confirm it at this stage and that they would wait on DNA and post-mortem results before making a proclamation. 

"There is speculation that it is him (Witbooi), but we cannot confirm until we have done a DNA analysis.

"We can't even tell whether the skeleton is of a boy or girl due to the state of decomposition," Naidu said.

She said until DNA evidence and post-mortem results are returned, the police could not be certain that the body was that of Witbooi's. 

Naidu said police would continue investigating the inquest docket and would give updates in due course.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
The EFF has voted with the DA to ensure they now govern Johannesburg, Tshwane and Ekurhuleni. Was this:
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
A brilliant strategic move by the DA not to make formal coalition agreements
24% - 1722 votes
A brilliant strategic move by the EFF to force the DA to negotiate with them
16% - 1145 votes
A recipe for disaster and five more years of unstable local government
60% - 4218 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
16.27
-1.9%
Rand - Pound
21.71
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
18.42
-0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.59
+0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.14
-0.0%
Gold
1,792.60
0.0%
Silver
23.13
0.0%
Palladium
1,751.49
0.0%
Platinum
955.50
0.0%
Brent Crude
72.72
-11.6%
Top 40
62,411
-2.6%
All Share
68,615
-2.8%
Resource 10
64,074
-2.5%
Industrial 25
92,909
-1.3%
Financial 15
12,995
-6.8%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE